Saftey Caps!!!!!????

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Actually I think as long as the cap spins the danger (if there is one) is not removed. A hood string would only tighten the cap to the spindle all the more and reel you in.

That is why I work naked.:eek: :D
Note to self..
Do not stop by Ed's shop unannounced.
edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

billmayo wrote:Shopsmith made a cover for the 2 SPT shafts that is just what you are looking for.
I ran without safety covers for 5 decades or so on three different Mk V's without incident...don't work naked, as some do, but then don't wear hoodies or neckties in the shop either...finally put a safety cover on the current Mk V but am not going to put one on the new Mini. I guess some peace of mind comes along with the guard, but also some minor hassles. 1) You will need to buy or make some sort of quill twister if you intend to keep the guard on and 2) The guard does not have access to the set screws on the hubs so I had to drill my own holes for that. You have to take the hub off the upper spindle to mount a sanding disk and the access hole lets you do that without futzing with the guard. I suppose you could just leave the hub off the upper spindle but I think I heard somewhere once that the hub acts as a bit of a heat sink for the motor. Don't remember where I heard that.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

Great points Ed, I will add the holes to access the hub set screw, since I may put the disk on that side on one of the machines.
Measure once, cut as many times as needed to get it right! Bob
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rbursek wrote:Great points Ed, I will add the holes to access the hub set screw, since I may put the disk on that side on one of the machines.
I think that sanding disk may need to be a 520 version(longer hub).

Speculation, I ain't ever seed one of them 'guards'.

There seems to be additional reasons for not getting one!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

I took mine off, just seemed to be in the way.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

May need to send them back after doing an examination of them!!!
56/57 Greenie with jointer, 85 Mark V with band saw, 63 Goldie with jointer, 3 ER 10s, 1951 vintage, Hernia from the Er 10s, Tool Shop SS clone 6" jointer, and 6" belt sander, Delta 10" TS, Buffalo 6" jointer, Craftsman 12" BS, 10" Ryobi planer. Compound Miter, and misc.
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

JPG, you do NOT KNOW WHY????
There seems to be additional reasons for not getting one!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rbursek wrote:JPG, you do NOT KNOW WHY????
There seems to be additional reasons for not getting one!
'New' reasons were mentioned after my initial post. I had not previously thought of the inability to access set screws and I had forgotten about the new shaft turner!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
"Wild Bad Bob"
Platinum Member

Post by "Wild Bad Bob" »

JPG, what is a "threaded pop rivet"? Never heard of one but always learning!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rbursek wrote:JPG, what is a "threaded pop rivet"? Never heard of one but always learning!!
It is like a 'fat' pop rivet and the inside has threads. It is 'popped' by using a threaded pull pin that pulls the end of the shank that expands at the pulling end using the pop rivet tool. The threaded pull pins are somewhat reusable.

I have not looked for them recently.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝