Is pine any good to turn?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Terry, (and the rest of you) if I can't get anything out of these logs, I'm out exactly "squat." Or, they will enliven a bonfire.

So far, I've invested carrying them 25 feet, and scrubbing the pine-tar off my hide. Yes, the ends are already checking.

In a year or 3, I'll screw on a 6 inch faceplate, and see what happens.

Every cut (from the fellers {the guys who felled the tree} with the chainsaw) shows grown-over limbs, wish I could turn that and have it show up. It'd look nice on a vase or something.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I tried turning a small piece of well dried pine. Unfortunately not my best experience. I would suggest using scary sharp tools and wear a face mask. I avoid pine in all wood working tasks. As a youth I found it decent to work with in recent years not so great. PLEASE be extremely careful!!!!!!!!! Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.