Hands On!

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Would You Subscribe to a new "Hands On!" Magazine?

No. I would have no interest in a Shopsmith specific magazine
19%
16%
55%
9%
1%

Total votes: 77

edflorence
Platinum Member

Post by edflorence »

Would enjoy either paper or e-format and I think it would be neat if each issue contained a "Best of the Forum" section...there is a wealth of really uselful information archived here it would be great to see it shared.
Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

[quote="BuckeyeDennis"]Beats me! I have yet to consume all the Shopsmith info that is already published and freely available on the web.

For example, I just learned that a Shopsmith itself can serve as a dandy panel glue-up press! This gleaned from Shop Notes #3.

Same issue, I learned that a Shopsmith makes a handy-dandy heavy-duty food mixer. Very cool. :cool: Guy to wife, neighbors, etc.: "Mine is bigger than yours!!!" :D Milkshake, anyone?

Oh yea. Need a 15" pulley for really low spindle speeds on your 10ER? No problem, just make one out of plywood. On your 10ER. Expensive speed changers are for sissies! ]

Woah there Buckeye!!!

I don't know about others here, but as an at least near on newbie I was under the impression that Shop Notes were not to be so easily found.

So I ask you, PLEASE SIR, please provide the most direct link to this cadre of publications past of which you"ve only supplied a few pages.

This I would be most pleased to have at hand.

Mind you, this would in no way preclude my interest in the publication under discussion at present. Where I would expect to find fresh material.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

idcook wrote:Woah there Buckeye!!!

I don't know about others here, but as an at least near on newbie I was under the impression that Shop Notes were not to be so easily found.

So I ask you, PLEASE SIR, please provide the most direct link to this cadre of publications past of which you"ve only supplied a few pages.

This I would be most pleased to have at hand.

Mind you, this would in no way preclude my interest in the publication under discussion at present. Where I would expect to find fresh material.
Here you go. You can also go to VintageMachinery.org, do a manufacturer search for Magna Engineering, and then click on the Publications tab.

Starting with issue #4, the name of the newsletter was changed to "Shopsmith Shavings." So this may not be the same Shop Notes publication you have in mind.
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Here you go. You can also go to VintageMachinery.org, do a manufacturer search for Magna Engineering, and then click on the Publications tab.

Starting with issue #4, the name of the newsletter was changed to "Shopsmith Shavings." So this may not be the same Shop Notes publication you have in mind.

Mind? Two postings back I was beginning to wonder if I deserved to regard myself as actually having a mind. All this great source material around and I without so much as an inkling. pshaw!

Anyway, thanks for the link and directives. I’m already enjoying reading bits along the way as I indulge myself in a sort of download frenzy.

Thanks again. :)
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:Here you go. You can also go to VintageMachinery.org, do a manufacturer search for Magna Engineering, and then click on the Publications tab.

Great information Thanks!!!!! I would love to see a Mark Vll catalog and more pictures.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Put me down as a "YES"
Bill V
rcplaneguy
Platinum Member

Post by rcplaneguy »

If you use your SS as a food mixer, printing press, or camera copy stand........you are dedicated! (suggestions from those shop notes)
John
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

rcplaneguy wrote:If you use your SS as a food mixer, printing press, or camera copy stand........you are dedicated! (suggestions from those shop notes)

I regarded many of the uses suggested as creative problem solving.
They all make sense when you consider the likely nature of the average Smithie.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Never used ny SS as a food processor or cake mixer. But I did do this once.

[ATTACH]25471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]25472[/ATTACH]

Most expensive string trimmer winder in the world.

Bill V
Attachments
basic setup.jpg
basic setup.jpg (79.03 KiB) Viewed 1889 times
job at hand.jpg
job at hand.jpg (74.77 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
aloibl
Gold Member

Post by aloibl »

But I bet it did a fine job of reeling that line on the spool!!!
Alan - Austin, Texas

Shopsmith Mark V (1984), Bandsaw, Joiner, Belt sander, jig saw, planer, router table, biscuit jointer, Porter jig,