chop saw stand

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JonE
Gold Member

chop saw stand

Post by JonE »

On Doug Reid's web site he has a couple of pics of a stand he made to use a ryobi chop saw on the SS. Though there was talk of him producing plans for this, I haven't seen any. Does anybody have plans for this?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

I don't see any plans posted but it shouldn't be too hard to make you own.
The third photo down on this page shows good detail of the construction.
I will reproduce it here for ease of reference

[ATTACH]25275[/ATTACH]

The top of the stand needs to be a bit larger than the base of you chop saw.
The sides need to be inset enough that they don't interfere with the with the chop saw mounting bolts.
The height needs to be such that the table of the chop saw is a bit higher than the top of the ShopSmith headstock so that the ShopSmith main and auxiliary tables can be used to support the wood being cut.

A different approach to this is shown on this post
Attachments
chopsawstand.jpg
chopsawstand.jpg (123.11 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
JonE
Gold Member

re chop saw stand

Post by JonE »

Thanks, i had never seen the second one. I'll get to work.
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I just clamp my compound miter circular saw directly to the table on my "500" from the back. Then I can slide it back and forth to set-up the support I need on either side with the extension tables. And I can adjust the height of the table (within reason) to match the adjustable height of the extension tables. Other than "F" clamps, nothing else special is needed.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

JonE wrote:Thanks, i had never seen the second one. I'll get to work.
Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Please post pictures when you are done.
I may make one myself, the stand I have for my sliding compound miter saw takes up way to much floor space.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

It seems like an option that utilizes the SS main table would be preferred, as it gives you the easy ability to raise/lower etc. as needed. Matter of fact, the suggestion of just clamping it to the main table seems the simplest - has anyone tried this and had troubles with it slipping or otherwise have problems that would make some sort of mount more suitable?
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

dgale wrote:It seems like an option that utilizes the SS main table would be preferred, as it gives you the easy ability to raise/lower etc. as needed. Matter of fact, the suggestion of just clamping it to the main table seems the simplest - has anyone tried this and had troubles with it slipping or otherwise have problems that would make some sort of mount more suitable?
See post #4. I've used clamps for years without a single problem. My scms is mounted on a piece of MDO the same size as the "500" table.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln