Hand Shake Agreement - and Honor

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

Sadly in many lines of work it's...(Making promises that will never be kept).. not only expected...But required...

The Financial Services Industry for one...And many other types of sales...What goes around comes around...The customer wont' buy unless you tell the biggest lie...So the guy who tells the biggest story gets the sale...and then the disclaimers in leagalieze...
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

See the selling of the ACA.
steve4447 wrote:Sadly in many lines of work it's...(Making promises that will never be kept).. not only expected...But required...

The Financial Services Industry for one...And many other types of sales...What goes around comes around...The customer wont' buy unless you tell the biggest lie...So the guy who tells the biggest story gets the sale...and then the disclaimers in leagalieze...
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

Ya..What we really need is a single payer system...
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

45 years ago as a young home owner I needed a rototiller. I went to the Merry Tiller (best tiller ever made ugly as sin but would till dirt like there was not tomorrow) dealer and found the unit I wanted. I asked about 90 same as cash. The owner asked me if I would pay for it in 90 days and I said yes. He said okay take it. No papers, no contracts, nothing other than my word.

Told my wife each month he is the first paid. We paid it off in 2 months and 15 days! I will never forgot the trust that man put in me.

Of course back then you could go to a car dealer find a car, make your deal and tell them what bank you banked at and they gave you the keys. I think I had to sign one paper saying I took the car.

Bought a car 2 years ago paid cash and wore out a pen signing all the documents.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

I'm told that The Amish do not use contracts...

How would like to buy or sell a farm on a handshake?
WmZiggy
Gold Member

Post by WmZiggy »

I am the treasurer of Riverdale Homes Association. We have 22 homes on acre lots in a wooded area south of Fargo. We pump our own water from two wells, pave our own streets, blow out our driveways, etc. The great metropolis of Horace does send a plow in when the snow is bad and monitors our wells (something we used to do ourselves, too). I only charge for the water this time every year. I just sent out the bills last week. It's $150 for the proceeding year. In other words, everyone pays $150, regardless of water use, for the electricity that pumps the wells. Most of that money goes into a rainy day fund to pay for well repairs. We have about $15,000 in the fund. For the privilege of living in Riverdale you only pay $150/year. Our motto is: Parvus Gubernaculum Satisfacio Bene Gubernaculum - The least government is the best government.

If a house has changed hands during the year I always hold my breath when I bill each member because of the damn real estate companies. Either they take the escrow funds to pay the water fee, forget about it, don't inform the buyer, or what have you. Most times, I don't think they ever collect the water fee from the seller. Invariable, when the new member gets their bill for the preceding year they throw a fit and get in my face and call me all sorts of foul names for billing them. I have to refer them back to the seller and the real estate company and tell them it isn't my fault. Yesterday, after the young man calmed down I asked him what was the biggest contract he ever signed? He said it was his house. I asked him if he had a lawyer? "Nope". "So to save a legal fee you signed the biggest contract in your life without someone representing you", I asked? "Uh....I guess so", he said. People are ignorant that real estate agents do not represent the buyer and barely the seller. In his case, three years after he purchased the home he finally figured out that he had paid the seller's water bill in 2010. I doubt he can go back and get it now. Good thing it was only $150, the price of a really fine dinner for 2 in an expensive restaurant.

I guess my point is if everyone is honest who needs a contract and lots of paperwork. The problem is, since the Garden of Eden there have been snakes at work. The bigger the deal the more important the paperwork and people (lawyers) who know how to deal with snakes. I would add that all lawyers are snakes, but my son is a lawyer and I know he isn't a snake. One size doesn't fit all.
WmZiggy
williamz@aol.com

"... and it was after long searching that I found the carpenter's chest, which was indeed a very useful prize to me, and much more valuable than a ship loading of gold." Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, 1719
db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Gene Howe wrote:See the selling of the ACA.
Gene: Even the selling of the name - ACA is a con job. It was written by and passed by a Democrat controlled Congress (House and Senate). It is NOT Obama Care but the Congressional Affordable Care Act - CACA. https://www.google.com/#q=caca+definition
steve4447
Gold Member

Post by steve4447 »

db5 wrote:Gene: Even the selling of the name - ACA is a con job. It was written by and passed by a Democrat controlled Congress (House and Senate). It is NOT Obama Care but the Congressional Affordable Care Act - CACA. https://www.google.com/#q=caca+definition
So what would you do for the poof and the sick?

I guess you got a totally different take away from Sunday School than I diid...
reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

steve4447 wrote:So what would you do for the poof and the sick?

I guess you got a totally different take away from Sunday School than I diid...

Not sure which Sunday School you went to but mine taught me "Love thy neighbor." I took that to mean be charitable personally. Not to mean send a goon with a badge to make my other neighbor take care of my neighbor for me...
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Ed in Tampa wrote:45 years ago as a young home owner I needed a rototiller. I went to the Merry Tiller (best tiller ever made ugly as sin but would till dirt like there was not tomorrow) dealer and found the unit I wanted. I asked about 90 same as cash. The owner asked me if I would pay for it in 90 days and I said yes. He said okay take it. No papers, no contracts, nothing other than my word.

Told my wife each month he is the first paid. We paid it off in 2 months and 15 days! I will never forgot the trust that man put in me.

Of course back then you could go to a car dealer find a car, make your deal and tell them what bank you banked at and they gave you the keys. I think I had to sign one paper saying I took the car.

Bought a car 2 years ago paid cash and wore out a pen signing all the documents.
And I bet that tiller was built to last as well
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner