Ring Master Index Pin

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

ralphtaff wrote:JUST FOR INFORMATION ONLY. I have made a bowl with a Scrollsaw using the ring master theory. A lot more sanding.
paulmcohen wrote:After you use the scrollsaw you can still chuck the result on the lathe and true it up, sand it and finish it.

Ring Master or scrollsaw.........

Which way is easier?
Which way is faster?
Which way is less wasteful?
Which way gives the most satisfactory results?

For me, there are a lot of unknowns here.:confused:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
wgander
Gold Member

Index in specs

Post by wgander »

Nick,
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't intend to start a Ring Master thread...
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

wgander wrote:Nick,
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't intend to start a Ring Master thread...
But the thread grew - and that's a good thing!! :) Thanks, wgander!

So many good things come out of asking questions on the Forum! That is one of the reasons this Forum is so great.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

Right on, Chuck. Meanwhile, back at the Thread, we find our heroes engaged in a life or death struggle with Unanswered Questions...

"Which way is easier?"
Toss-up.

"Which way is faster?"
RingMaster.

"Which way is less wasteful?"
Scrollsaw/Band saw.

"Which way gives the most satisfactory results?"
Satisfactory to whom? The craftsman? The end user? A wood butcher who just wants to get in and out of his shop as quickly as possible with something to show for a minimal investment? If you fall into the first or second category, there is no correct answer. Satisfaction is derived from the creation of quality, something that has little to do with tools or processes despite the prevalent myth-conceptions spread by tool peddlers. If you fall into the third category and your happiness depends on how little time it takes to do something, see answer #2. If what thrills you is making a wooden object with as little wood as possible, see answer #3.

With all good wishes,
brown_hawk
Gold Member

Post by brown_hawk »

Nick,

Why do you say that the scroll saw is less wasteful?

And is it all that much real difference in the amount of wood used?

Thanks, Hawk
Dayton OH and loving it! :D (Except they closed the store.:( )
ralphtaff
Gold Member

Post by ralphtaff »

That i can answer the Scroll saw is MORE labor intensive all the way. LAYOUT IS ABOUT THE SAME. You have to drill small holes for entry holes for the blade.Some times you do not get the same angle as the saw blade. To cut each ring is slow some time you do not get one ring cut when you have to change blade due to dullness or breakage, you use a lot of blades.I have used as many as three for one bowl. You have to sand away the holes that are left you have to take in consideration the extra thickness to allow for the oversize hole that has to be drilled. Over all it takes two to three hours to cut one bowl out on the Scroll saw. the sanding is what takes the longest. If you have a lathe that is the way to go. If you do not have one then it takes a long time to make a bowl, it would be like turning from a big piece of stock,you can not hurry it up a bit. as far as the waste a bit more with the scroll saw but not enough to worry about. With a band saw you would need to glue up where you cut into the ring. so i agree with nick on all what he said but in waste would be so small between all of them but band saw would be less as i have done that. Actually i have not as yet used the ring master but what i have seen it should be the best way over all. I almost have it set up to use the ring master but not yet. Just to not confuse the issue of why not, MY SHOPSMITH is broke down.
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

ralphtaff wrote:............. Just to not confuse the issue of why not, MY SHOPSMITH is broke down.
What is wrong with it? Do you have parts on the way, or are they backordered?

BTW, After reading the answers to my questions, and seeing Nick use the Ring Master on the Sawdust Sessions, I think that I wood have to go with it. Thanks guys!
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
ralphtaff
Gold Member

Post by ralphtaff »

Well i have to wait to get the $350.00. SPRING TIME AND THE WIFE BOUGHT $300 WORTH OF FLOWERS. Can you believe that. Oh well next month i will order the parts.It SURE is hard to live paycheck to paycheck. I used to not have that worry i had a business and it took care of that part, just charge it and pat for it at the end of the month. By the way it worked i sold the business for a profit because the other man wanted the business more then i did.I had three offers just as good before but this time i sold out.That was about 13 years ago. HAVE A GOOD DAY AND A BETTER TOMORROW.rt
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

[quote="ralphtaff"]Well i have to wait to get the $350.00. SPRING TIME AND THE WIFE BOUGHT $300 WORTH OF FLOWERS. Can you believe that

I sure can believe that. Flowers,trees and shrubs is my day job. This week, Mothers Day, Is our Christmas. The more I sell the more Shopsmith tools I can buy :-)