New (old) Shop Smith owner

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

teacherman wrote: The insulation on the cord is cracked, and this is the first order of business.

Use a 10 foot 12ga/3 extension cord, cut off the female end.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

Cracked power cord… pffft… If that’s the worst of it you’ll be building those cabinets and crib very soon.

Enjoy!

Interesting choice of sound effects!

:) Hey!… I made a funny and didn’t know it. HA!
charlese
Platinum Member

pfft! PFFFT!!

Post by charlese »

PFFFT! is a GREAT new/old sound/word!!:) This is an expression my Mother used to make:) .

Maybe it canl become one of those more modern expressions, like tweet, blog, OMG, etc. Not used as a noun, but a great expression of dismissal.

Now wish I had used that (pffft!) during the discussion of the short fence:p

Thanks, idcook!!!!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Wellcome to the forum. There is one thing we like around here and that is pictures.:) :)
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

charlese wrote: Now wish I had used that (pffft!) during the discussion of the short fence:p

Thanks, idcook!!!!!
LOL … That short fence has been getting a bit of a hard time around here but, still feeling a good bit naif, I haven’t ruled it out yet myself. NOT HIGH ON MY LIST, mind you, but worthy of due consideration until I can figure out if it suits me personally.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

idcook wrote:LOL … That short fence has been getting a bit of a hard time around here but, still feeling a good bit naif, I haven’t ruled it out yet myself. NOT HIGH ON MY LIST, mind you, but worthy of due consideration until I can figure out if it suits me personally.

...PFFFT...:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

jpg40504 wrote:...pffft...:d

Lololololol
teacherman
Gold Member

Post by teacherman »

kalynzoo wrote:Just be careful. The Shopsmith is additive. There are lots of upgrades and add-ons, and with it's reasonably small profile it will soon become your favorite go to tool. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for all the encouragement! I live in Lawrence KS, if that helps. I hope I can find the basics, such as belts, etc. for this 1956 machine. I have not been able to do anything with it yet, it's so cold around here. I feel I need someone to look at it and tell me what to do at first so I don't mess anything up. Supposedly it has been tested and it works. It DOES have the jointer on it, which weighs about as much as the rest of the thing. If this machine will last me, I'll invest in it. I do have some Johnson's paste wax around here somewhere. It's pretty clean, but I'll fuss with it a bit when it warms up some.
I'll get some pics up directly.

Yes this is a greenie.
teacherman
Gold Member

Post by teacherman »

beeg wrote:Use a 10 foot 12ga/3 extension cord, cut off the female end.
That was the plan. Is 12 necessary, or would 14 do? I have both, so no big deal. I bet the original is a 16.
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

12 gauge is rated for 20 amps so that is what I use for power cords and I also use 12 gauge wire when rewiring the motors.
- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com