Electrolysis Question - So I don't burn the house down

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

pds0006 wrote:What I'm surprised and frustrated to see is that the day after I have rust reappearing on the metal?!...
If I take steel wool to it will it go away and come back?

That's NEW rust, so use a fine steel wool to remove it. Then wax the piece to prevent more rust.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

pds0006 wrote:Well after several abortive attempts I finally got a charger that would work and a vessel that would hold enough water. The results are pretty impressive and I'll post a few pictures when I get a chance.

What I'm surprised and frustrated to see is that the day after I have rust reappearing on the metal?! Is that because I didn't leave things in the "soup" long enough or is this some kind of flash rusting because I towel dried the metal but moisture was still present and it was vulnerable? If I take steel wool to it will it go away and come back? Do I need to take a wire wheel to the metal even after electrolysis? I'm enjoying this experience but it seems like every question answered brings up two new ones.
I had the same problem after using Evaporust. Then I started coating the de-rusted parts with Penetrol, and haven't see a speck of rust form since. Penetrol is primarily an oil-based paint additive, so this treatment might be OK even for parts that are to be painted.
idcook
Gold Member

Post by idcook »

pds0006 wrote:Well after several abortive attempts I finally got a charger that would work and a vessel that would hold enough water. The results are pretty impressive and I'll post a few pictures when I get a chance.

What I'm surprised and frustrated to see is that the day after I have rust reappearing on the metal?! Is that because I didn't leave things in the "soup" long enough or is this some kind of flash rusting because I towel dried the metal but moisture was still present and it was vulnerable? If I take steel wool to it will it go away and come back? Do I need to take a wire wheel to the metal even after electrolysis? I'm enjoying this experience but it seems like every question answered brings up two new ones.

It’ll be great to see the photos.

What the guys are telling you is gospel. So long as those parts are exposed to air new rust will form. The only way to combat it is to keep ’em waxed or oiled to block that oxygen from the metal. It’ll stay lookin’ purty good from then on.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

idcook wrote:It’ll be great to see the photos.

What the guys are telling you is gospel. So long as those parts are exposed to air new rust will form. The only way to combat it is to keep ’em waxed or oiled to block that oxygen from the metal. It’ll stay lookin’ purty good from then on.

More of the gospel. After electrolysis a thin layer of porous 'pure iron' resides on the surface. It will react with air etc. immediately. In fact before you even finish drying it! A similar situation exists with evaporust once you wash it off.

Realize you have created pristine rust free surfaces which are just 'itchin' to get oxidized!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joshh
Platinum Member

Post by joshh »

- 1986 Mark V 500 Mini

- 1985 Mark V 510 with reversible motor, bandsaw, jointer, and double-tilt.

I offer quality motor reversal, rebuilding, and rewiring. Contact me at HarbourTools@live.com