DC3300 leaking dust

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

twolukes
Bronze Member

DC3300 leaking dust

Post by twolukes »

My dust collector is leaking fine dust out of the exhaust on the back of the unit. When I took the hood off, it was caked. I put it in the washer recently and wonder if I didn't ruin it. For now, I knocked the hood clean and taped a thin T-shirt over the exhaust and it works, but I'm thinking it's not the best idea. Thoughts?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

twolukes wrote:My dust collector is leaking fine dust out of the exhaust on the back of the unit. When I took the hood off, it was caked. I put it in the washer recently and wonder if I didn't ruin it. For now, I knocked the hood clean and taped a thin T-shirt over the exhaust and it works, but I'm thinking it's not the best idea. Thoughts?
You be blowing dust through the motor likely.

There are internal seals(weather stripping like) that are likely leaking.

Felt usually does not like 'washers'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fightingseabee
Gold Member

Post by fightingseabee »

I had a similar problem and I ordered this and the problem went away

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... =Find+Item
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

That would be one of those internal seals I referred to.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
twolukes
Bronze Member

Post by twolukes »

fightingseabee wrote:I had a similar problem and I ordered this and the problem went away

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/item ... =Find+Item
Thanks Seabee. Fixed it perfectly.
wfitzmauirce
Bronze Member

Re: DC3300 leaking dust

Post by wfitzmauirce »

Where do these internal seals go? What do you take apart?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wfitzmauirce wrote:Where do these internal seals go? What do you take apart?
They are in the motor housing and keep the dust collection air flow separated from the motor cooling air flow,
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

wfitzmauirce
Bronze Member

Post by wfitzmauirce »

Do you take the gray housing unit out or do you take it apart while in unit? Are there hidden bolts holding it it or is is just stuck?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wfitzmauirce wrote:Do you take the gray housing unit out or do you take it apart while in unit? Are there hidden bolts holding it it or is is just stuck?
IIRC, you must remove the motor. Too long ago to be much help!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

br549
Platinum Member

Post by br549 »

wfitzmauirce wrote:Do you take the gray housing unit out or do you take it apart while in unit? Are there hidden bolts holding it it or is is just stuck?
Some disassembly is required, and there is one screw that is somewhat hidden on the backside. This is a previous thread about the DC3300 and in it I showed how I replaced my gaskets.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/wood ... 19997.html