2013 Christmas projects

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Three nested scroll saw baskets, all from one 9" x 26" maple board:

[ATTACH]23490[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23491[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23492[/ATTACH]

Have a very merry Christmas, everyone!

Gary
Attachments
nested baskets resized.jpg
nested baskets resized.jpg (136.32 KiB) Viewed 4206 times
baskets side view resized.jpg
baskets side view resized.jpg (136.06 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
baskets top view resized.jpg
baskets top view resized.jpg (184.11 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Great Looking baskets, tried them once but mine didn't turn out that nice. Someone will really love those.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
fiatben
Platinum Member

Wow

Post by fiatben »

Wow! You guys knock me out with the quality of the stuff you build. It inspires me to get MUCH better.

I'm so glad someone started this thread because I came online tonight to start one if someone else had not.

I'm an amateur at best, but I am getting better. This year was nothing like last year. I got tied up in fixing a couple of cars for two of my daughters and then the weather turned nasty. I find it a bit hard to get much done in the shop when the thermometer is reading 38 for a high, in the shop!

Soooooo..... I went for a few really simple, quick projects with good intentions to do much better next year.

For the two year olds, and this is a VERY simple project I just threw together after not finding any plans that suited me. A single 1x4 of cheap "whitewood" and Hobby Lobby wheels/axle pegs and a can of yellow spray paint combined with a black Sharpie and....
[ATTACH]23493[/ATTACH]

For the 5-year olds, a basic pick-up truck. It is scaled to go with the tractors they got last year, which hopefully will be followed by some farm trailers in the coming year. They are oak with each of the four trucks have bumpers made of different woods; bois d'arc, ebony, walnut and cocobolo. Again, wheels and axles courtesy of Hobby Lobby. Spray spar urethane finish after staining the wheels with dark walnut.....
[ATTACH]23494[/ATTACH]

Last year all the women almost got into a fight over the jelly bean machine, so I learned my lesson and they all got a set of trivets this year. These are just a few of them. Again, simple design cut from square pieces of wood (oak, cherry and walnut) and using a dado and a bit of sanding. No finish because I expect these to be used and have hot pots on them often....
[ATTACH]23496[/ATTACH]

Some of the kith and kin are into guitar playing, so I stole this from Steve Ramsey, WoodWorking for Mere Mortals on youtube. Steve always has some great simple projects for us beginners. These were made from a piece of birdseye maple burl I've been hauling around through various moves for the past 20 years. Finally found a project worthy of them. I made some modifications (I think they are improvements) over the original design. These do not have a finish yet, but should look really good after tomorrow....
[ATTACH]23495[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Crayon Truck 01web.JPG
Crayon Truck 01web.JPG (183.1 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
Pickup Trucks 01web.JPG
Pickup Trucks 01web.JPG (181.95 KiB) Viewed 4175 times
Pick Boxes 2web.JPG
Pick Boxes 2web.JPG (187.04 KiB) Viewed 4171 times
Trivets 1web.JPG
Trivets 1web.JPG (242.96 KiB) Viewed 4173 times
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

greitz wrote:Three nested scroll saw baskets, all from one 9" x 26" maple board:

[ATTACH]23490[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23491[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]23492[/ATTACH]

Have a very merry Christmas, everyone!

Gary

I give, whats the process here?I've never seen these before.

Way cool sir!!
R Hart
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mrhart wrote:I give, whats the process here?I've never seen these before.

Way cool sir!!

Think 'Ring Master' but use a scroll saw and cut wavey circles(at an angle).

Would not a Band Saw work? Fergit I asked that!:o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

The nesting baskets pattern was designed by Dave Van Ess and is included in the book "Creating Wooden Boxes on the Scroll Saw", copyright 2009 by Fox Chapel Publishing. Great book! I think this is the easiest project in the book, though going round and round with all the rings can get a bit tedious....

Thanks for the compliments. SWMBO likes it a lot. She's making chocolate chip cookies right now, so I guess we both win!

JPG is correct - the rings are concentric wavy circles and are cut at 5 different angles, the steepest angles for the bottom rings. It's a really ingenious, efficient design, there's only a small amount of unused wood out of the 9" x 26" board.

JPG- Each ring is cut apart along the grain and glued together, so I'd guess that it could also be cut with a bandsaw using maybe a 1/16" or 1/8" blade. The rings are only about 3/16" thick, though, so the rings might get too thin due to the thicker kerf of the bandsaw blade.

Gary
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

----------------------------------------------------
Attachments
tree ornaments 001.jpg
tree ornaments 001.jpg (138.39 KiB) Viewed 4141 times
tree ornaments 002.jpg
tree ornaments 002.jpg (132.57 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Post by mountainbreeze »

My quickie ornaments...

[ATTACH]23499[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Snowflakes.jpg
Snowflakes.jpg (285.02 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
Bill
----------------
Mark V 520 50th Anniversary Edition, Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw
john
Platinum Member

Post by john »

Originally going to comment on the baskets which are great, then saw the boxes and the ornaments, and I love toys. All great projects!

There are going to be many happy recipients.

John
benush26
Platinum Member

Post by benush26 »

greitz wrote:The nesting baskets pattern was designed by Dave Van Ess and is included in the book "Creating Wooden Boxes on the Scroll Saw", copyright 2009 by Fox Chapel Publishing. Great book! I think this is the easiest project in the book, though going round and round with all the rings can get a bit tedious....

Thanks for the compliments. SWMBO likes it a lot. She's making chocolate chip cookies right now, so I guess we both win!

JPG is correct - the rings are concentric wavy circles and are cut at 5 different angles, the steepest angles for the bottom rings. It's a really ingenious, efficient design, there's only a small amount of unused wood out of the 9" x 26" board.

JPG- Each ring is cut apart along the grain and glued together, so I'd guess that it could also be cut with a bandsaw using maybe a 1/16" or 1/8" blade. The rings are only about 3/16" thick, though, so the rings might get too thin due to the thicker kerf of the bandsaw blade.

Gary
You can access his software to create the templates here
http://www.scrollmania.com