Fall project 2 - 10E circa 1947

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

The last photo in post #8 reminded me a lot of the "Treasure Box" that came with my 1950 10ER. While not exactly the same the size and construction, they are very similar. Does anyone know if Shopsmith had a plan for these? ................. Likely just a coincidence.

[ATTACH]23067[/ATTACH]

Very Good score BTW.

Paul M
Attachments
DSCN0183.JPG
DSCN0183.JPG (172.17 KiB) Viewed 2958 times
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
enyoc
Gold Member

Post by enyoc »

Thanks Paul! Your 10Er is an inspiration! The Silver is a perfect color.

I think the boxes were coincidences.
JC
Hampden Twp, PA

Bought, restored and sold a 520 before I knew what I had (and should have kept) - Now I found religion and I'm working on restoring a 500 and a 10E.
enyoc
Gold Member

Post by enyoc »

Here are the guts of the AOSmith 1/2 HP reversible motor.

I am out of my element... other than blowing it out and replacing the bearings and power cord - what maintenance should I do while it's cracked open?

Any advice on removing/replacing the bearings?

JC
Hampden Twp, PA

Bought, restored and sold a 520 before I knew what I had (and should have kept) - Now I found religion and I'm working on restoring a 500 and a 10E.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

How did the bearings feel prior to disassembly? If 'ok' then do not replace them.

Blow it out some more! Pay attention to where the winding wires enter the slots in the stator.

It actually looks pretty good.

At first it looked like burned windings, but a close up look revealed that is black woven spaghetti tubing.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

The cast iron AO Smith motor will last forever as long as the bearings are smooth and you blow the sawdust and crud out every few years. I believe these motors develope more HP than stated as later motors of more HP has thinner winding and rotor wires than these earlier model motors from the 40s & 50s. They were build to last forever, not like todays everything is replaceable market.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
brad_nalor
Gold Member

Post by brad_nalor »

Wow what a neat project! With that low of a serial, guessing the headstock has a rough finish or look casting.

Seeing it inspires me to get 10E #6505 back in service. Cheer's!