son

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fightingseabee
Gold Member

son

Post by fightingseabee »

I am slowly getting my garage cleaned out and converted into my shop, its amazing how much crap built up in 4 years. I have my Shopsmith set up and almost aligned. I also have a delta scroll saw. I am starting to teach my 8 year old about wood working and actually had him cut some scrap on the scroll saw and he liked it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what would be good projects to teach and maybe how to teach a 8 yr old to work with wood?
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

fightingseabee wrote:I am slowly getting my garage cleaned out and converted into my shop, its amazing how much crap built up in 4 years. I have my Shopsmith set up and almost aligned. I also have a delta scroll saw. I am starting to teach my 8 year old about wood working and actually had him cut some scrap on the scroll saw and he liked it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what would be good projects to teach and maybe how to teach a 8 yr old to work with wood?
I always think a bird house or bird feeder is a good, simple project to start with kids - something easy to make that can be completed in one afternoon and then they can enjoy putting it to use.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

I don't have any kids, but I did teach my baby brother's oldest, at about that age, to use the lathe on the ER.

His father, (my baby brother) was using power tools at that age, so it's kinda traditional. He was even using a Skilsaw, at age 8.

steve
reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

My first project with my grandfather at around that age was a gavel on the lathe. Some simple spindle turning and a drill press. 2 fairly safe tools. ( His Mk V of course)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reddog5362 wrote:My first project with my grandfather at around that age was a gavel on the lathe. Some simple spindle turning and a drill press. 2 fairly safe tools. ( His Mk V of course)
You haven't watched me "blow out" bowls. It usually happens about the time I think I am approaching completion. I blew out my first one in front of the group with the Traveling Academy. The rest I have done without assistance.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

fightingseabee wrote:I am starting to teach my 8 year old about wood working and actually had him cut some scrap on the scroll saw and he liked it. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what would be good projects to teach and maybe how to teach a 8 yr old to work with wood?
Since he has some experience on the scroll saw, perhaps an oven rack jack

or the infamous squirrel]Squirrel oven rack tool[/URL]

An easy project and would make a nice and useful gift for his mom.:)
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
paul269
Gold Member

Post by paul269 »

Have him cut out his name on the scroll saw. He could hang it on his wall, or door to his bedroom. Easy to follow the lines from a stencil.
texomawood
Gold Member

Post by texomawood »

Scroll saw puzzles are always a good simple project. Animals or simple things line a tree or house. Bird houses are another good one. Sunset had a book "Making Simple toys" that had good starter projects.
reddog5362
Gold Member

Post by reddog5362 »

dusty wrote:You haven't watched me "blow out" bowls. It usually happens about the time I think I am approaching completion. I blew out my first one in front of the group with the Traveling Academy. The rest I have done without assistance.:rolleyes:
LOL I've blown out my fair share too. The spindle turning was a good way to learn. They rarely explode too dramatically and the adult can help guide small hands. I think when I was learning with my grandfather it was probably mostly scraper work. I do clearly remember parting the handle and head off the lathe. And the smell of the Johnson's paste wax on the turning and from cleaning the machine. Funny how the smells stay with you more than anything. My mother probably still has that gavel, it was turned in cherry from a tree in the yard of the house she grew up in, and was a gift for her when she got appointed head of the ladies auxiliary at the church. That simple project was what led me to buy my MK V so many years later.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

My nephew, Parker was short at 8, so, his dad, Roger found a whole box of asphalt tile somewhere, and used it as a stand for Parker to stand on when he was turning. And no. Parker NEVER used the Shopsmith, unless one of us, (Roger or me) was there.

Funny, even at 8, he knew the therapeutic value in woodworking. When I visited, it was always, "can we make shavings today?"

Couple years ago, he sends me a link to his posts on a straight razor forum, since he is now shaving. The funny part, his father decided to try a straight razor, and, well, blood was spilled! Parker never lost any, though.

(I should watch what I post, because Roger and Parker have an ER, and could show up here.)

steve