Spinning wheel

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

rpd
Platinum Member

Spinning wheel

Post by rpd »

Finished my latest project, a spinning wheel for my daughter, for her birthday. I think I am getting better at this, I was only a week late ;)

[ATTACH]22955[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]22956[/ATTACH]

I had to try it out so I borrowed some roving (carded fiber) and spun a few feet of yarn.

[ATTACH]22957[/ATTACH]

Not bad for a first try..

The plans are available for free online. Dodec Spinning Wheel

And the designer has YouTube channel showing parts of the build and how it is used to spin. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnOR92miuWYrfKqiEREwKww/feed?activity_view=3

I made a few modifications on the one I built.
Attachments
dodec front.jpg
dodec front.jpg (107.88 KiB) Viewed 4931 times
dodec rear.jpg
dodec rear.jpg (106.21 KiB) Viewed 4925 times
firstyarn.jpg
firstyarn.jpg (101.04 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

When I saw the title, I assumed this was going to be one of those faux spinning wheels that were popular with decorators a few decades ago which were purely for show. I see this is, instead, a real, functioning spinning wheel. Pretty cool!
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Nice job, Im hoping you make a loom next?
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

berry wrote:Nice job, Im hoping you make a loom next?
Probably not any time soon. My daughter has been sewing all of her own clothes for several years now but only started knitting late last year.

Last spring she took a class on spinning with a drop spindle but wasn't having much success with it. So when I spotted the plans for this wheel I thought I would surprise her with it.

It was not expensive to build, about $8.00 for the wood (2 1x4x8' pine boards) plus 3' of 1/4" hardwood dowel and hardware, maybe $20 total.

I did much of it on my 10ER, the 12 inch disk sander for sanding parts to shape and for cleaning up the end grain cuts, and horizontal boring for the holes in the wheel (first time I have used this mode :)).

My finishing technique needs work. I used a pre-stain wood conditioner (first time for this) :), wipe on stain :) and clear lacquer (lots of drips and runs) :o.

So for me it was a skill building project and quality time in the shop.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
Cavediver
Gold Member

Post by Cavediver »

Very nice!

Not only am I going to keep these plans for use as-is (my wife is just getting into knitting; she'd love this!), I've been looking for some treadle-powered grinding wheel plans. This will be very easy to adapt!

I've always had issues grinding my hand plane blades. I almost always overheat the bevel and lose temper. I could get a slow speed grinding wheel or a water cooled setup, but a really-low speed standard grinder is just what I've been thinking about. I almost bought one of the antique hand-crank grinders from Ebay; I just couldn't figure out an easy way to hook it to a treadle.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Looking good!

It is always nice to see other peoples projects. It looks like an interesting project to do especially when it can be given as a gift to a loved one.

Keep up the good work.

Ed
fightingseabee
Gold Member

gift

Post by fightingseabee »

my sister-in-law is a knitter and spins her own yarn. I think will make this for her