OPR Stand Revised

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fjimp
Platinum Member

OPR Stand Revised

Post by fjimp »

In the past we have discussed this great tool and the potential use of a shorty stand. I recently had occasion to discover a lathe add on from shopsmith does a major job of offsetting the weight issues of using a short stand. Once that option hit me I shortened my tubes so that the lower tubes are 22". If making this change be certian you shorten all four tubes by the same amount. Check the picture to see what I discovered. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

If you reverse the carriage 180 deg. or move the table to the other side of the carriage, the table will be over the center of your shorten Shopsmith. I have gotten down to 12" bench tubes and doing this change.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
Jack Wilson
Gold Member

Post by Jack Wilson »

Bill,

Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the picture.

Jack.
SS Mark 7 PowerPro, 2 SS Bandsaws, SS Belt Sander, SS Jigsaw, 13" Steel City Lunch Box Planer, SS Jointer, Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

billmayo wrote:If you reverse the carriage 180 deg. or move the table to the other side of the carriage, the table will be over the center of your shorten Shopsmith. I have gotten down to 12" bench tubes and doing this change.
This is fine for the Shopsmith dedicated to drill press duty. However if done to the overhead router, you would lose the ability to use the router in horizontal mode for tasks such as panel raising.

Nice stand, Jim.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

SDSSmith wrote:This is fine for the Shopsmith dedicated to drill press duty. However if done to the overhead router, you would lose the ability to use the router in horizontal mode for tasks such as panel raising.

Nice stand, Jim.
Thanks for the nice comments. In that I had no desire to purchase new tubes if I screwed it up. I did try suggested options first. I tend to do most of my work in a sitting position due to my crippled feet. Thus this option is best for me. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

Great idea for storing that heavy beast.
Jim in Bakersfield:D
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

fjimp wrote:In the past we have discussed this great tool and the potential use of a shorty stand. I recently had occasion to discover a lathe add on from shopsmith does a major job of offsetting the weight issues of using a short stand. Once that option hit me I shortened my tubes so that the lower tubes are 22". If making this change be certian you shorten all four tubes by the same amount. Check the picture to see what I discovered. Jim
Hey Jim,

I'm sure you told us before but since my memory isn't that great.... what were the tube lengths before the change to 22"?

How are you attaching the "weight" to the lower tubes?

Do you store this in the upright position or do you lay it back down? If you do want to lay it down do things interfere with other things?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm interested in your project.

Ed