Removing Bandsaw Tires

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

eldyfig
Gold Member

Removing Bandsaw Tires

Post by eldyfig »

I bought the urethane tires for the BS recently when they were on sale. Then I get the service parts tip for the BS in my email. So I decide to go ahead and change out the tires so I can carry on with tuning my BS. This is where it gets hairy.

The old rubber tires are the originals from '91 or '92. They were cracked pretty good, so I figured they would come off easy. The top wheel's tire actually did come off decently. Left a little bit behind on the wheel to be cleaned off. The bottom wheel however, not so nice. The tire came off, for the most part, but left behind alot of peelings that are still glued down.

Any suggestions on how to make this job a little easier to finish?
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
smredleg
Gold Member

replacing the band saw tires

Post by smredleg »

Nearly a year ago there was a tread in equipment forum that delt with the problem of removing the rubber tires. Try the May 07 time frame. I tried a search function without success but I know there's a lot of suggestions in that volley.

Wayne
Milwaukee
99" of snow and more on the way.
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

I think this is the thread you are looking for.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthr ... light=tire
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This might be the thread you are looking for.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=52&highlight=tires

If these don't work - try a search for "tires" and select "post" rather than "thread". Just a thought.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

From some of the horror stories on the forum I would think I would try running the bandsaw at high speed. That has been reported to throw tires off.:p
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Ed in Tampa wrote:From some of the horror stories on the forum I would think I would try running the bandsaw at high speed. That has been reported to throw tires off.:p
Where is the best place to hide when you throw the switch to on?
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Thank you, Gampa and Dusty, for the link. Just so happens I am subscribed to that thread and forgot to realize it.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Did the polyurethane tires today. Put the tires in some hot water and a couple drops of soap like it says to do. Had no problem putting the tires on as long as I used some pony clamps to help hold the tire. Well, after I got the tires on, I decided to align everything else on the bandsaw. Took my time to make sure I got it all right. Did some other things. A few hours must have passed. I went to align the fence and started to cut the test piece of wood. Cut the wood fine, aligned the fence and then went to finish cutting the test wood. That's when it happened. The bottom wheel tire came off while I was cutting. Startled me, but I was quick to turn off the saw. No damage to anything. The blade was still on the wheels. The bottom tire was in the spokes.

I think maybe I should have waited longer for the tires to get back to their original shape. I measured the circumference of the tire while it was off. It was 31". I believe in the other thread, Nick said the tires should be about 30". The off spec tires SS had at one time were 32". I didn't measure the tires before I put them in the hot water. I think the 31" measurement I got from the tire that came off was because they weren't back to their original shape.

That's my rant. Hopefully, when I go out tomorrow to resaw a piece off wood I need to finish my dock, the tire will stay on.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Sorry, Tony!!! Bummer! :(
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Well, it has been a couple of days. Plenty of time has passed. Tried the BS. Cut a piece of wood. Looked through the dust collection port. Noticed the bottom tire was starting to slip closer towards the front of the wheel. Took the BS cover off and sure enough, the tire was making its way to come off.

The tire on the top wheel is fine, has not slipped. It has been mentioned that I could try CA glue to hold the tire on the wheel. If that doesn't work, I am going back to rubber and will never look back at urethane.

Any thoughts?
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz