How to make this cut/notch on board corners

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

teamtj
Gold Member

How to make this cut/notch on board corners

Post by teamtj »

I am needing to make a 3/4 x 3/4 notch on all 4 corners of a 12X24X1 board.

What's the easiest way to do that? I will be needing to do this on more than 1 board, up to 10, so repeat-ability is ideal.

Thanks!
Morgan
Blue Springs, MO
SS Mark 7 PP
tvidnoviciii
Gold Member

Post by tvidnoviciii »

This notch you write of is called a rabbet (assuming I understand what you mean). Using a dado blade on the table saw would be the best for repeatability in this instance. Attach a block of wood to your rip fence so you don't damage the fence. Cut the end grain on both sides first to prevent tearout. See pages 8-14 (especially figures 3-40 and 3-41) of the following link: http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/tblsaw_joinery/090902.pdf. For the size of the stock you are using, I would most likely use the method seen in figure 3-40.

If you don't have a dado blade and cannot buy one. A router with a straight cutting bit and a clamped straight edge can be used as well, you'll either have to reset the straight edge for every cut (time) or you'll have make a jig (time +money).

Finally, if you don't have a dado or router, you can use the normal table saw blade to make multiple cuts in each rabbet, nibbling away at the wood you want to remove, one sawblade width at a time (very time consuming)
teamtj
Gold Member

Post by teamtj »

I appreciate the reply, but I am not sure I was clear in my initial post.

I understand the rabbet you pointed me to, but I am looking for something more like the attached, cutting the corners off to end up with a plus-like shape, if that makes sense...
Attachments
Wood.png
Wood.png (642 Bytes) Viewed 2238 times
Morgan
Blue Springs, MO
SS Mark 7 PP
tvidnoviciii
Gold Member

Post by tvidnoviciii »

OK, I understand now.

With the size of the stock you are using, the easiest method would be to use a bandsaw with a fence.

If only one side of the boards is going to be visible in the final product, you could use your table saw, to cut to your marks, but you would have saw marks underneath where the blade didn't puncture.

If it were me, I'd probably stack all of the peices I wanted to cut together and clamp them, making a 12x24x10" block. Then I would use a curcular saw with depth set at 3/4" and a straight edge to make the 8 cuts necessary to remove the corners. Does that make sence?

Finally, if you have to cut one at a time and both sides are going to be visible, I'd use a router with a straight cutting bit to cut out most of the stock and then use a hand chisel to square up the corners.
teamtj
Gold Member

Post by teamtj »

I like the idea of clamping to make a 12x24x10" block and circular saw-ing it.

I think that's how I'll tackle it.

Thanks for the great idea!
Morgan
Blue Springs, MO
SS Mark 7 PP