Shopsmith Sawsmith 2000 Table Saw - $500

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joedw00
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Sawsmith 2000 Table Saw - $500

Post by joedw00 »

Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
henecle
Gold Member

Post by henecle »

too bad it's missing parts... :(
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

I saw this the other day. I live in Charlotte which is about 30 minutes from Monroe, but $500.00 is awful steep, no matter how rare it is and what condition it may be in.

About a year ago, there was another one for sale in the area for $200.00. I arranged to take a look at it but the d-bag owner skipped our meeting at his own house, so I wasted about 2 hours and 75 miles worth of gas for nothing. Then, about 3 weeks later he had the gall to e-mail me and ask if I was still interested. Needless to say, I told him to take a flying leap.

This might even be the same saw - the previous one didn't have a fence either and looked to be in pretty good condition from the pictures. This latest seller probably bought it and is now trying to jack up the price to make a slick profit.
frank81
Gold Member

Post by frank81 »

nutball wrote:I saw this the other day. I live in Charlotte which is about 30 minutes from Monroe, but $500.00 is awful steep, no matter how rare it is and what condition it may be in.

About a year ago, there was another one for sale in the area for $200.00. I arranged to take a look at it but the d-bag owner skipped our meeting at his own house, so I wasted about 2 hours and 75 miles worth of gas for nothing. Then, about 3 weeks later he had the gall to e-mail me and ask if I was still interested. Needless to say, I told him to take a flying leap.

This might even be the same saw - the previous one didn't have a fence either and looked to be in pretty good condition from the pictures. This latest seller probably bought it and is now trying to jack up the price to make a slick profit.
Aren't all ShopSmith prices in NC awful steep? I kept on eye on Craigslist for 5 years when I lived in Greensboro and later the eastern part of the state and rarely saw a Mark V listed below $2,000 no matter the age or condition. Maybe things have changed in the past 3 years but $500 seems in line with the ridiculous prices I'm used to seeing in the tool section back east. Doesn't make it a good price, just expected.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

unless you want this a collector piece pass on it. The saw didn't sell because it was not very good to begin with.

The carriage the blade traveled on had as much wobble (slop) in it as the worst Radial Arm saw I ever checked did.

When these first came out I was ready to jump on one. I hustled down to the Shopsmith Store (which existed back then) and checked it out. NICE! or so I thought. But then I cranked up the blade and wiggled it side to side. It had as much movement in it as a good hula dancer does. :eek:

Then I checked the blade to fence with the blade carriage all the way to rear, then in middle and all the way to the front. The measurements were all over the place. It was like the track for the blade carriage was twisted.

I rejected the idea of buying one. However because I was always in the store because I worked near it I decided to check it again. I was told the one in the store was a new one the one I had checked was sold and this one replaced it. I was also told it was set up to perfection.
Well it was better but the blade/carriage still had way more side to side wobble (slop) in it than I would consider accepting. Also the blade to fence did constantly change as the carriage was pulled forward.

I figured it was a great idea, poorly done and why it didn't sell.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

frank81 wrote:Aren't all ShopSmith prices in NC awful steep? I kept on eye on Craigslist for 5 years when I lived in Greensboro and later the eastern part of the state and rarely saw a Mark V listed below $2,000 no matter the age or condition. Maybe things have changed in the past 3 years but $500 seems in line with the ridiculous prices I'm used to seeing in the tool section back east. Doesn't make it a good price, just expected.
Yeah, the prices here do tend to be pretty high. It seems even crappy 500's with few or no accessories are often $700$800 and up. Every now and then you'll find a good deal (got a free-standing, newer model scroll saw for $100 about a 1.5 years ago), but not often. If I could have got the first 2000 for $200 or less (I was going to offer $150), I would have taken it.

To Ed in Tampa, I agree, everything I have read indicates the 2000 wasn't the greatest piece of equipment. I was looking at it more from a collector's standpoint.

I did find an old, running Mark VII about 2 years ago (just across the border in SC) and got it for $150. Some day I hope to tear it apart and refurbish it.

The best deal was buying a lightly used 520 with all kinds of accessories for $1,500. Turns out the seller used to be a SS rep several years ago and he had about every accessory under the sun (many of them NIB). He kept a couple of SPT's and a power stand, but I conservatively estimate that if I eBay all the things I don't need/want, I could easily recoup the $1,500 and wind up with the 520 essentially for free. Now I just need to get off my lazy behind and start selling the extra stuff!:)