Loose idler bearing

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

nothungry3
Gold Member

Loose idler bearing

Post by nothungry3 »

Inspecting my new (60's vintage) shopsmith, I discovered that one of the idler shaft bearings is loose in the eccentric bushing. It does not appear to have spun. How can I correct this? I am considering staking or an adhesive, but I have no experience in either.
nh3
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Pictures, pictures, pictures. Only found one bearing on the idler shaft. Be sure to use something, washer or clamps to prevent the idler shaft from exiting the headstock. Check the set screw in the eccentric bushing. If it has a point, then this point should fit in a center groove on the idler shaft bearing. Just do not over tighten. The idler shaft bearing will make a clicking noise if too tight. I move the eccentric bushing within the headstock casing to get the upper belt riding straight. I have been using a knurl grip cup set screw in the eccentric bushing. Sometimes I have to grind just a little off the set screw head to clear the headstock casing. This allow me to position the idler shaft bearing at different locations within the eccentric bushing and keep the eccentric bushing againest the washer in the "B" & "C" headstocks.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
nothungry3
Gold Member

Post by nothungry3 »

This is a Mark VII, it has two bearings in the eccentric bushing. I am not familiar with other shopsmith models.
nh3
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

nothungry3 wrote:Inspecting my new (60's vintage) shopsmith, I discovered that one of the idler shaft bearings is loose in the eccentric bushing. It does not appear to have spun. How can I correct this? I am considering staking or an adhesive, but I have no experience in either.
Define 'loose'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
nothungry3
Gold Member

Post by nothungry3 »

Close sliding fit.
The bearing came out of the bushing when I removed the bushing from the headstock, so I assumed it was an id fit. Upon closer inspection, I found it was seized on a rough spot on the shaft. I came off with light pressure by hand. I am assuming both bearings should be pressed into the bushing and the bushing bore is oversize. Any ideas?
Attachments
Idler Shaft Assy.jpg
Idler Shaft Assy.jpg (141.81 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
Idler Shaft Exploded.jpg
Idler Shaft Exploded.jpg (171.57 KiB) Viewed 1036 times
nh3