Shopsmith v. e-bay

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

backhertz wrote:There used to be several sellers on Ebay who did outstanding jobs in presenting parts for sale. One guy pic's made the parts appear like they were floating in air. Back in 2007/2008, I think these people may have been selling more Shopsmith parts than Shopsmith. I remember the bidding wars resulting on items going for more than the same item was being sold by Shopsmith. I got a chuckle out of that.

Craig's List seems to be a place where people can still get some deals. But that is hard for many as Craig's List is designed for face-to-face transactions. I like Craig's List because I've often scored more when people say, "I have another box or two full of Shopsmith stuff…" These boxes sometimes contained some very expensive accessories. Like a Forrest Gump box of chocolates…

Location, location, location seems to be three important factors in getting a good deal on a used Mark V. I still get a kick of people who have a Brownie and compare it with new 2012/2013 Mark V prices and then ask for half that figure. But I suppose people have to start somewhere. What's the value of a Mark V? I suppose it's whatever someone is willing to pay like many other things.

I can't help looking on Craig's List. I used to know a way to simple google craigslist.org and use brackets or parentheses that will pull up every Shopsmith in the country. It's much easier than just going to the Craig's List site and having to change the area I'm interested in. I've found many smaller items on Craig's List that sellers didn't mind mailing to me. But it's up to them as is risky unlike Ebay where people are worried about their feedback scores.
Using this site you put in your zip code and item and it searches all Craig's list listing as well as e-bay.

http://www.searchtempest.com/
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

JPG40504 wrote:So, what would you consider a fair price for a strip sander, refurbed, with all three platens, and a manual?:D
Well, SS sells it new for $289 and I forget how much they typically reduce the price when it comes around as one of their specials (maybe $250?). I routinely see folks pay $225 or more for a used unit on E-Bay, sans manual and two of the three platens and often it's an older version and/or not necessary looking pristine. I guess if I saw one of those "new in box" deals come up (which presumably is totally complete and pristine), I'd see it worth $225 but for a used one that's missing stuff and ultimately of unknown condition...I personally wouldn't pay more than $100-$125 and this would only be if it looked like it was in fairly good condition. Reality is that will never happen on E-Bay as folks run the bidding up to $200+ every time one comes up. Once the E-Bay price gets beyond ~2/3 of the new price from SS for a typical item, I'd be heading to SS to buy it new instead. I see E-Bay as a place to find stuff that is no longer available from SS (i.e. 10E/10ER parts) or to purchase items that sell for a fraction of what SS sells them for. More and more those cheap deals are hard to find. I'm just baffled by folks who get in bidding wars and pay between 3/4 and full price of what an item would cost new at SS...happens all the time on there. I add items of interest to my "Watch List" and if the price isn't driven out of control, I'll make a bid near the end...95% of the time I delete the items from my watch list long before it ends as the bidding gets way beyond what I'd pay fairly quickly.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner
rdavidp
Gold Member

Post by rdavidp »

I had a friend give my a Shopsmith that another friend gave him. My friend knew nothing about Shopsmith's, so he didn't know most of the arbors, saw guards, and such were missing, and neither did I once I got it. I was getting ready to part the shopsmith out, and see about buying one that was complete. Seems to be very few Shopsmiths in my area for sale. I decide to keep it, and get the parts. I call up Shopsmith to start ordering. Practically everything I need was on back order, and no idea when it was coming in was the response. I am not waiting a month or more for a part. I had no choice but to use E-bay. I had the huge machine that was useless at the time in a very small shop, and my plan was to get rid of a couple of power tools I had once I got the shopsmith up and running since the Shopsmith should do the same job. I checked the price plus shipping on the Shopsmith website, then checked the price and shipping on E-bay. Not once did I buy an item on E-bay that costed more than Shopsmith prices, usually it was a good bit cheaper or atleast cheaper by $5 to $10. Most items were new in the box, and I got them within a week, not "no idea when we will receive the part". If Shopsmith had the items in stock, they could have made alot of money off of me, instead E-bay sellers did.
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

I have seen things going for near new prices and even considered some myself after being on the waiting list at ShopSmith for months. The speed reducer comes to mind.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

Well, shows how much I know...after 8+ months of fairly consistent watching of E-Bay and seeing numerous Strip Sanders sell for $225+, I just grabbed one with a Buy It Now price of $120 and only $24 shipping - it looks to be in excellent condition:
E-Bay Strip Sander

Of course it's missing two of the platens and the manual as usual, but for that price, I'm happy to buy them from SS next time I place an order. At least it includes the round one, which is the most expensive of the three. With the exception of the planer, that pretty much rounds out my SPT collection...I wonder if he'll send me the accessory stand with it as well...usually folks note that it's not included if they use it just to hold up the SPT for photo purposes.
'78 Mark V 500 #27995 (my Dad bought new)
'82 Mark V 500 #96309
Two '47 10E's (serial#4314+6149) - one a dedicated drill press and the other a lathe
Two 10E/ER in parts slowly being restored…#26822 and #????? (SS plate missing)
SPT's: Bandsaw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, Biscuit Joiner