Lake Superior

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

berry
Platinum Member

Lake Superior

Post by berry »

Next year my wife and I are planning to drive around Lake Superior. I'm looking for suggestions/advice regarding motels/hotels, restaurants, parks, and things to do from those who taken the tour or from those who live along the route or from those who may have heard from a friend or relative of places to avoid or places not to be missed.

I think we'll avoid Isle Royale (it seems that would be a trip by itself, although maybe not).

Thanks to all who have information to share.
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
trainguytom
Gold Member

Post by trainguytom »

If you haven't been to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, stay there at least one night. It's expensive but worth it. Rent the movie "Somewhere in Time," filmed there, & watch it with your wife before you go. Take a coat & tie as you're required to dress for dinner. Food is great. It's one of the last of the grand old wood hotels in the country. (Google it)
If you don't wish to spend that much, stay some place else but tour it & the island as well. No motor vehicles allowed on the island, so take bikes or rent them or ride in a horse pulled carriage. The 4th of July week has a lot of activities.
My dad's 1951 10er, 2 more 10er's, same vintage, a Goldie MK5, a 510 shortie with 34inch tubes, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, a ton of small SS goodies and still looking...you just can't have enough Shopsmith stuff
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

In Duluth the Split Rock Lighthouse and State Park are great. I think it also has a waterfall and some hiking if that is your thing. Duluth also has the harbor and the big ships and plenty to see and do.

You'll need a passport if you want to go through Canada. The family and I took a trip to Door County and although it isn't Lake Superior, it seemed down a couple of feet. I'd guess Superior would be the same, but I don't think the shoreline has the downside the Michigan has with all the grass and muck. Washington Island's beaches seemed to affected by the pullback of the water, but Whitefish State Parks water and beaches were awesome.

We had looked at Maciknac Island and it looks like a good option. Would have done it if we had more time.
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

If a scenic train ride sounds nice to you yo may want to look into
the Algoma Central Railroad's scenic tours My Wife and I took the Agawa canyon tour
many years ago if I recall properly it started real early and took the best part of the day
Very scenic trip were glad we went.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

Well, much depends on your interests and dislikes. Myself, I've done it on the Canada side many years ago, and have visited the UP of Michigan several times due to family being there.

Sault Ste Marie is worth a day. The locks are fascinating, and a lock tour is a blast. The Valley Camp ship museum is great. Everyone should got to Antlers at least once in their life to eat.

If you're willing to travel downwards. The afformentioned Mackanack Island is indeed a worthy day.

If you're willing to travel further south to Detroit, the Dearborn Museum (aka The Henry Ford) is worth a day or two just to explore. We've gone there twice, staying several days at the Ford Hotel across the street (an amazing deal to stay in, super cheap combo package). Some day, we'll probably take a week just for the place.

back up in the UP, the copper mines to the west.

Roadsideamerica.com has many fascinating odd things to stop at (like various Paul Bunyon statues and the like).

Canada side of the soo has a fascinating bush pilot museum.

The Algoma train tour...watch your season. Now would be good. We did it early summer, and got to admire nothing but leaves flashing by the car windows. Do understand it's a fake scenic end, manufactured for tourists. I wondered about that black pipe hiding in the woods alongside the trail to the scenic waterfall. That's the pumped water to it. It only runs when the train pulls in. The concrete is another clue.

Glass bottom shipwreck tours are fun.

Waste money and eat at least one elk burger. And a pastie!

Stop in the Duluth Trading Company store and shop for man stuff.

Hit the old growth forests.

On the north side, it's much more woods. So if you don't like to get out and hike to things, you're going to just be traveling through. And I've no idea why Thunder Bay is called that, and it's not an exciting stopping point.

But, if you slow down and explore the various local haunts of the north, oh my but it's pretty. Especially when looked at from the south.

These two are good jumping off points for finding information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_(Lake_Superior)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Shore_(Lake_Superior)
fredsheldon
Platinum Member

Post by fredsheldon »

trainguytom wrote:If you haven't been to the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, stay there at least one night. It's expensive but worth it. Rent the movie "Somewhere in Time," filmed there, & watch it with your wife before you go. Take a coat & tie as you're required to dress for dinner. Food is great. It's one of the last of the grand old wood hotels in the country. (Google it)
If you don't wish to spend that much, stay some place else but tour it & the island as well. No motor vehicles allowed on the island, so take bikes or rent them or ride in a horse pulled carriage. The 4th of July week has a lot of activities.
And eat lots of fudge. There must be a hundred fudge shops on the island. :p
Fred Sheldon
The Woodlands, Tx
'52 10ER # 60869 (restored in 2012, used as a dedicated drill press), '52 10ER # 88712 (restored 01/2013), 52 10ER # 71368 (in process of restoring), '83 500 Shorty with OPR installed, '83 520 PowerPro with Lift Assist, 6" Joiner, 6" Belt Sander, 18" Jig Saw, 11" Band Saw, 12" ProPlaner, SS Crosscut Table. SS Dust Collector, Hitachi 1/2" router, Work Sharp 3000 with all attachement, Nova G3 Chuck, Universal Tool Rest, Appalachia Tool Works Sled.
dforeman
Gold Member

Post by dforeman »

I did this trip (most of it anyway) back in September of 1995. My main goal was to check out Isle Royal. Unfortunately, they stop running the ferry out to the island on Labor Day (not sure when they start back up in the spring). So, be aware that the Ferry only runs seasonally out to the Island. But, I did hit it just right to catch the peak of the fall colors (talk about awesome). Like Foxtrapper said, "it really depends on your interests." I didn't stay in hotels myself. I camped out along my journey and stayed in campgrounds (there are several along this rout and also seasonal). Twin Rock Light House is a nice tour. I think I spent a 1/2 day there just wandering around. If you like History, there is also a recreation of a French Indian Fort at the upper end of the Northern Shore with lots of history and demonstrations. The Maritime Museum (just north of Duluth) was also very interesting. Since you also like Woodworking, you may want to check out the little town of Grand Maranis (sp). It is a neat little town inhabited by lots of artsy type folks. I even ran into one lady there that told me she grew up in Gaithersburg, Md. There is/was one shop there called the Beaver Lodge (or so it was called at the time) with a hand carved Marque of Beavers building a dam. It was actually a fishing/general store with a twist. When I was inside, it just looked like a local fishing shop me. But, later standing outside there was a sign that advertised peep shows. Hummmmm.. Go figure, a fishing shop with peep shows. I had to chuckle about the concept but the Marque was what really caught my attention. There are lots of trails for hiking, lots of interesting rock formations and several neat looking waterfalls. And trees, lots of old growth forest. I saw more great sunsets than I have ever seen at one period of time in that part of the country also. But, again that may also be due to the time of year.

Also, like LetterK mentioned, you'll need passports if you venture into Canada. Going into Canada is not a problem but getting back they want proof of citizenship. In 1995 when I went, you didn't need a passport. But after 911 the US really stepped up on border security.
bcone1381
Gold Member

Post by bcone1381 »

Pictured Rocks national Lakeshore, the west end is at Munising, MI. I recommend the Pictured Rocks Cruise. Are you camping? If so, camp there at Munising on Grand Island...it sits in Munisng bay, and is a hoot to camp and explore, as I understand.

Also, I have not visited Ilse Royal yet, but I have flown over it. That is a Kayak Paradise like I have never seen anywhere else anywhere else in the world. Don't take the boat from Michigan, instead go from Thunder Bay, Onterio. It is only about 10 miles across. If you are rustic campers, I think Isle Royal by kayak would be fulfilling enough for any trip. I hope to do that some day.
Brooks

SS Mark 5/520, Band Saw & Jointer SPT, DC3300
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

How much time are you taking berry? My buddy motorcycled around Gitchee Gumee in 4 days and 3 nights but that may be a bit much. He had a blast.
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Don't forget the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum! One of the exhibits is the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald. Also, Upper and Lower Taquamenon Falls is good. And don't forget the locks at Sault Sainte Marie.

BPR