Setscrews for ShopSmith Mark V, stainless steel?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Setscrews for ShopSmith Mark V, stainless steel?

Post by reible »

I've been noticing this item on ebay

Setscrews for ShopSmith Mark V Machines - Stainless Steel 15 Piece Large Pack

It is a buy it now item for $8.50 +$1.95 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230891958264?ss ... 1423.l2649

I've been wonder if anyone has purchase either these or the other sets offered by the seller?

I've just ordered some replacements for my shopsmith from shopsmith at $.80 each. Postage rate added on they are going for a lot more then the delivered price of about $.70 for these ebay items. Trouble is I don't think I'd use the stainless steel ones all places as they are not the right type for all applications.

Soooo any one, anyone at all?

Ed
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

I've noticed those items on E-Bay - seems like they are marketing them as a means of "snazzing" up the SS. They do claim they've perfectly matched the sizes and I'll take their word on that, but I'm not sure stainless steel is the first thing I'd chose for set screws. I use stainless deck screws all the time for exterior applications for my house (i.e. hanging exterior siding) as they don't rust and hence in the long term reduce maintenance. But that being said, stainless screws are much softer than regular coated steel deck screws - I buy the star-head type which virtually never slip on the drill bit, so not an issue. But for allen head set screws, for a device presumably stored in a suitable indoor environment, I fail to see the need for the rust proof properties, particularly as a trade-off for a softer metal that may have the head strip out in the future and cause a hassle. I also don't feel the need for stainless steel "bling" on my SS - the original steel set screws are all functioning perfectly after 34 years in my machine. Like everything on the SS, an occasional removal and lubing will maintain performance and minimize rust issues just fine.

I also noticed this vendor has started selling screw sets for the MarkV legs and casters - again, making the claim that the original screws are dated looking and this will add pizzazz to your machine. It looks to me like they are selling oval head stainless screws with nylon-lock nuts that should be available at any well-stocked hardware store. Again, I don't see the need for stainless in this case but will be curious what the price for these is at my local hardware store when I"m there next...of course without the shipping.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The older Mark 5's had oval head screws and the casting holes are counter sunk to accept them.

My concern would be what type ends are on them? Are they the proper length?

IMHO a solution in search of a problem.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

dgale wrote:I've noticed those items on E-Bay - seems like they are marketing them as a means of "snazzing" up the SS. They do claim they've perfectly matched the sizes and I'll take their word on that, but I'm not sure stainless steel is the first thing I'd chose for set screws. I use stainless deck screws all the time for exterior applications for my house (i.e. hanging exterior siding) as they don't rust and hence in the long term reduce maintenance. But that being said, stainless screws are much softer than regular coated steel deck screws

No notice of how hard the stainless is. As you have seem with some deck screws they can be "soft" but they range depending on several factors like the type of stainless used. I'm more worried that they will will be too hard.

Same can said about "other" setscrews that you find at a hardware store, they give no data so it is your choice to use them or not. Since there are places on the shopsmith that you do not want to damage, things like the quill you don't want to user harder material for the setscrew, they could damage things.

- I buy the star-head type which virtually never slip on the drill bit, so not an issue. But for allen head set screws, for a device presumably stored in a suitable indoor environment, I fail to see the need for the rust proof properties, particularly as a trade-off for a softer metal that may have the head strip out in the future and cause a hassle. I also don't feel the need for stainless steel "bling" on my SS - the original steel set screws are all functioning perfectly after 34 years in my machine. Like everything on the SS, an occasional removal and lubing will maintain performance and minimize rust issues just fine.

I also noticed this vendor has started selling screw sets for the MarkV legs and casters - again, making the claim that the original screws are dated looking and this will add pizzazz to your machine. It looks to me like they are selling oval head stainless screws with nylon-lock nuts that should be available at any well-stocked hardware store. Again, I don't see the need for stainless in this case but will be curious what the price for these is at my local hardware store when I"m there next...of course without the shipping.
It might be a bit of a sticker shop when you price the stainless hardware.

One of the machines I purchased someone had not noticed the fine thread on the screws for mounting the legs. They got a mix of square bolts and drove them together making them into junk. I was 400 miles from home when I found this and in the middle of assembling the machine. Those particular heads are not easy to find except in stainless steel so I have a machine sporting 10 of them. They are not like chrome and if fact many owner would not even notice the change.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

JPG40504 wrote:The older Mark 5's had oval head screws and the casting holes are counter sunk to accept them.

My concern would be what type ends are on them? Are they the proper length?

IMHO a solution in search of a problem.:rolleyes:
Another thing I didn't know. All of my machines have a simple hole with no countersink. You don't happen to have a picture somewhere?

I found the hardware that came with the new casters has extra long fasteners for what is needed. I replaced them with a "better" length.

I guess I can afford a set to check out. Will let you all know when they arrive and I can have a look at them. If nothing else I can use them somewhere other then the shopsmith.... I hope.

Ed
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Repeated qestion type sessions with Shopsmith engineers in the 2002-2005 time period when I was learning supplied me with many reasons why Shopsmith did certain things and used certain parts. I was told that the Shopsmith set screws were a milder grade of steel than the set screws at the big box stores. This was so the set screw would conform to match the shaft and dig holes in the shaft that a harder screw would. You do not want the arbor set screw leaving ridges on the quill shaft as the softer set screw would mash slighly without leaving a mark on any shaft. So the factury did not recommend non-shopsmith set screw anywhere on the Shopsmith. I was able to get the proper grade rating for each of these screws and nuts and was able to perfect matches for the Shopsmith I went to using stainless steel screws for and part artachment and hold the motor pan and belt housing on the heastock along withholding the motor to the motor pan.about 8 years ago. Many set screws are only set one time so need to be tight

There are many different lengths of Shopsmith set screws. I have a drawer full of different length set screws from collect the at various sales in Florida

There was a ton of Posts on this tiopic r
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

billmayo wrote:Repeated qestion type sessions with Shopsmith engineers in the 2002-2005 time period when I was learning supplied me with many reasons why Shopsmith did certain things and used certain parts. I was told that the Shopsmith set screws were a milder grade of steel than the set screws at the big box stores...

This is pretty much what I understood about the set screws.

I was able to get the proper grade rating for each of these screws and nuts and was able to perfect matches for the Shopsmith

Is there any chance you still have the specs for the set screws?

I went to using stainless steel screws for and part artachment and hold the motor pan and belt housing on the heastock along withholding the motor to the motor pan.about 8 years ago. Many set screws are only set one time so need to be tight

There are many different lengths of Shopsmith set screws. I have a drawer full of different length set screws from collect the at various sales in Florida

There was a ton of Posts on this tiopic r
When I order from shopsmith I normally get a couple of extras so when I loose one I can replace it right away. Earlier this fall I was cleaning up one of my drill chucks, the set screw was on the wrench when I knocked them off my work surface. I heard a ting as the set screw hit something but was never able to find it. Not a big deal as I have several drill chucks in my collection but had I needed to order an $.80 item by the time they add on postage it would be what $10-$11. So I checked and found I did not have another so it went on the list and when I placed my last order I ordered 3 of them. When they come in 2 go into my replacement box until needed.

I seem to loose 2 or 3 a year, sometime when the shop ever gets moved or cleaned out I should find about 60 or so of them.

Ed
lightnin
Platinum Member

Post by lightnin »

reible wrote: I've been wonder if anyone has purchase either these or the other sets offered by the seller?
Ed
I did they look like the originals other than the material, I have not used them
I just put them in a Tic-Tac box for spares. I would have bought some from
Shopsmith but I can't see myself making an order soon as I've pretty much
got everything I need for now so just bought them on an impulse from EB.
Bruce

I didn't know what a Shopsmith was...
Three days later I owned one...
One week later I was rebuilding one...
Four months later I owned two....
Ok Ok, I'm up to four now...
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

I bought the SS 15 pack on Ebay... They send 18 (one extra of each length)... all "cup" end...

Quick ship ... work great... seem to be hard... I put one on a thingy I have that is cold role steel and tightened the stuff outa it.... setscrew and steel both did fine...

for less than ten bucks, seem to be ok...
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
dgale
Platinum Member

Post by dgale »

lightnin wrote:
I just put them in a Tic-Tac box for spares.
That's a great idea!