table saw dust collection

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

sksticks
Bronze Member

table saw dust collection

Post by sksticks »

just setting up my retirement workshop. bought a 20 year old used shopsmith 510 5 years ago and never ran it until now. it runs fine, and i just recently bought a 1994 model that was still packed in the box. it too runs nice, but i have a problem with dust collection when i run the table saw. it seems that 98% of the sawdust is on the floor and everywhere else except in the collection system. i have a good system that works great with every other piece of equipment i have. there is one port on the bottom guard. is there some additional piece i should get to help out, or am i missing something? i really would like to use the table saw, but not if it spews this much dust.

sksticks
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Welcome to the forum!

Your post is timely. This has been on my mind lately and in searching the forum I found that this has been the topic of a couple of threads.

According to those threads, most of the dust comes out the front of the lower guard. Some members experienced success installing a deflector at this point. I will search the thread and try to post the link.

There is also debate about how wide to set the lower guard. I get best dust collection results with the guard set as wide as possible and I think narrowing the guard (which is necessary to make bevel cuts because of the table tilt) chokes off the dust port and reduces air flow.

I don't know whether you use the DC3300 or some other collector, but I have a DC3300 which can run three hoses simultaneously. I am considering experimenting with a fitting to connect two hoses from the DC3300 simultaneously to the lower guard dust port to try to increase the CFM air flow through the lower guard (although I don't know if that will work of if the two hoses will just compete with each other). I am also considering modifying the upper guard for a dust port (like the Shark Guard). I believe there is a post on here somewhere showing a homemade modification to do just that.

I will be interested in seeing what other responses you get.

Al
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have made some modifications to my lower saw guard and am now quite satisfied with its performance.

Yes, the majority of the dust not collected is thrown up onto the top of the table by the back side of the blade.

I get the best performance with the lower saw guard closed in tight on the insert show in some of my latter pictures in this thread.

In this thread you will also find very functional facsimiles of the guard I built. Some pictures of mbcabinetmakers results follow later in the thread along with some dimensioned drawings of the deflectors.

I also believe that there is something that could be done to still further improve (by eliminating the top side escape) by collecting under the table at the top of the lower saw guard.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:I also believe that there is something that could be done to still further improve (by eliminating the top side escape) by collecting under the table at the top of the lower saw guard.

Is that thing called the upper saw guard? There is one that has top suction. I think it's name is a Shark.

The only time I have an issue with top sawdust, I am using a ZCI.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Welcome to the forum.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese wrote:Is that thing called the upper saw guard? There is one that has top suction. I think it's name is a Shark.

The only time I have an issue with top sawdust, I am using a ZCI.

Very good point. Yes, the upper saw guard does change the dust flow pattern somewhat and you get less saw dust "in your face" but there is still a goodly amount of dust on the table top. That dust can be eliminated.

The shark guard does a great job of accomplishing that.

BTW, I almost always use a ZCI. When I tilt the table - NO.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:Very good point. Yes, the upper saw guard does change the flow of patterns somewhat and you get less saw dust "in your face" but there is still a goodly amount of dust on the table top. That dust can be eliminated.

The shark guard does a great job of accomplishing that.

BTW, I almost always use a ZCI. When I tilt the table - NO.
How many on the forum have the Shark Guard?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I don't know about how many but I have one and like it.

To find an answer to your question you could set up a poll. I have never done one but I assume (yeah I know...) it's a relatively simple process.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
hyRAMelu
Gold Member

table sawdust collection

Post by hyRAMelu »

I am interested in the Shark product. However I am equally interested in hearing about the experience and advice from the forum membership regarding the Shark. Any input is welcome. :confused:
hyRAMelu -- Americus, Kansas
When there's a will, there's a way!

SSMarkV510, SS bandsaw, SS scrollsaw, SS planer, SS jointer, SS jigsaw, SS belt sander, PorterCable router, Dremel stripsander, Dremel scrollsaw, ShopVac, misc.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have the Shark guard and I really like it. But like any tool you must use it.

Shark Guard is a great company to work with and I found Lee to be a great guy to deal with.

Order one you won't go wrong!
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!