Mark "6"

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jayhawk
Gold Member

Mark "6"

Post by jayhawk »

A good friend and fellow Shopsmith enthusiast recently bought an old Mark VII that was in great condition except the power/reverse switches didn't work. He had a nice Mark V headstock so he decided to mount it on the Mark VII base assembly. He calls it his Mark 6. It tilts both ways and he says it is easier to raise to drill press mode. Looks good to me!
Attachments
gary's mark 6.JPG
gary's mark 6.JPG (147.12 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

I agree!

BPR
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have a Mark V / Mark VII. I have always called it a "Frankensmith" ... :)
Its primary function is as a lathe. I think that the bed is more rigid and that it lends itself easier to ballasting if wanted.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

And a wide extension table to boot!

Ya gotta love forward/backwards compatibility!!!

Looks like mark V carriage and table.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

There's (or there was) another mix and match on Craigslist in NH; Mark VII body but with a 510 table system and Mark V headstock.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jayhawk wrote:A good friend and fellow Shopsmith enthusiast recently bought an old Mark VII that was in great condition except the power/reverse switches didn't work. He had a nice Mark V headstock so he decided to mount it on the Mark VII base assembly. He calls it his Mark 6. It tilts both ways and he says it is easier to raise to drill press mode. Looks good to me!
Although a working original power switch is scarce, its switching function is understood and fairly easily 'duplicated'. I assume the rack was removed from the way tube(or the tube was replaced).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

Very nice!
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG40504 wrote: I assume the rack was removed from the way tube(or the tube was replaced).

If a lady owned Mark VII still had a like new gear strip on the back of the front way tube would it be appropriate to say "nice rack" ?

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:If a lady owned Mark VII still had a like new gear strip on the back of the front way tube would it be appropriate to say "nice rack" ?

Yes!:)

But not within ear shot distance!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

I had success mounting the Mark VII reversible motor in the Mark V motor pan and adding the FWD/REV switch on the motor pan directly below the ON/OFF switch. I used these reversible Mark V headstocks on SHORTY and MINI Shopsmiths that I sold for a few years. I even sold one to a Mark VII owner who removed the rack on the way tube to use it. I am currently planning to assemble a like new Mark VII I have stored for years with a reversible Mark V headstock for my use.

As I had difficulty finding Mark VII motors, I was able to rewire the AO Smith and GE motors for reverse capability. I still offer this option if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Bill Mayo
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)