Making a floating outfeed table

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

alwaysbs
Bronze Member

Making a floating outfeed table

Post by alwaysbs »

I have been using my Shopsmith 510 for about 3 years. I've always disliked the short outfeed table. This weekend I figured out a fix. I used 3/4 pipe with elbows to join the main table to a floating outfeed table supported by adjustable legs. I've attached a picture that's worth a 1000 words.
Attachments
outfeed.JPG
outfeed.JPG (46.64 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Welcome to the forum. That looks like it should do the trick. It is always nice to have something for long boards. Fill out your profile so we will know where you are from.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

The short in feed (or out feed) of the SS table was always a complaint of mine and I honestly came within minutes of buying a full size table saw when I happened to find directions for reversing the extension table to off-set it and attaching floating table to extend the depth of the SS. Problem solved and several hundred dollars saved!

Belive it was Doug Reid who said "if you think Shopsmith isn't a good table saw, then you just don't know how to use it"....
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Very clever thinking, thanks for sharing.:)

Here is a link to the Doug Reid video showing how to get a similar result using just stock 510/520 parts.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

alwaysbs wrote:I have been using my Shopsmith 510 for about 3 years. I've always disliked the short outfeed table. This weekend I figured out a fix. I used 3/4 pipe with elbows to join the main table to a floating outfeed table supported by adjustable legs. I've attached a picture that's worth a 1000 words.
Neat solution to what can be a serious short coming. A table saw without outfeed support can be very dangerous.

Yours is one of several that have been presented here on the forum. Yours, however, makes good use of 505 and 510 tables that seem to be plentiful online.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.