Planer Knife Alignment

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

kmclaugh
Bronze Member

Planer Knife Alignment

Post by kmclaugh »

I recently picked up a SS planer from my neighbor. The knives were dull so I removed them knives to have them sharpened.

I purchased a CMT magnetic planer knife setting jig. To use the jig, it requires the chip deflector to be removed.

Looking at the owners manual, it is not clear to me how to remove the chip deflector.

Any ideas.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Contact SS customer service for the planer adjustment gauge. I think that it is about ten bucks. It is very handy.
Bill V
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

wa2crk wrote:Contact SS customer service for the planer adjustment gauge. I think that it is about ten bucks. It is very handy.
Bill V
What he said.
Click on the video link on the next page and you will see the jig in the video screen.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... knives.htm
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
wdelliott
Gold Member

Planer Chip Deflector

Post by wdelliott »

Did you ever figure out how to remove the chip deflector? I have the same issue.
Wm. D. Elliott
Dallas, TX

1972 Model 500; upgraded to Model 7; bandsaw; belt sander; joiner; planer pro; power stand; OPR; Biscuit joiner; router tables
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

As I recall, the chip deflector fits into slots in each of the side frames. Removing and reinstalling it would be more trouble than it is worth given the simple alternative of the SS knife setting jig.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com