shopsmith mark VII

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tsmith624
Bronze Member

shopsmith mark VII

Post by tsmith624 »

I have an opportunity to buy a mark VII for $300. Haven't seen it yet. What should I be aware of / look for? Since it was not actually made by Shopsmith, is it something to stay away from? I understand the speed control can melt....is it replaceable? Thanks, guys!!
Nick
Platinum Member

Post by Nick »

It was made by Shopsmith in the 50s; but is no longer supported by us. Some of our accessories will work on it, and a few of our repair parts are interchangeable. Bill Mayo can speak to the availability of repair parts from outside the company much better than I can and hopefully he'll jump in here.

The Mark VII was a decent machine, though not the battleship that the Mark V proved to be. If the machine is in good running order and reasonably cheap, it might be prove a fine way to get into woodworking. However, if support, compatibility with available accessories and repair parts, and the ability to be upgraded is important to you, I'd hold out for a used Mark V in your price range.

With all good wishes,
mranum
Gold Member

Post by mranum »

Sounds like the one I saw on Craigslist yesterday. Near Appleton WI. ?

If it is the pics looked decent.
tsmith624
Bronze Member

buy mark VII ?

Post by tsmith624 »

Yes, it is the same one. As a matter fact, the guy bought it 1 1/2 yr ago after posting some questions on another Shopsmith forum....which I forgot to bookmark.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Mark VII

Post by billmayo »

Thanks Nick for the reference. I did replace a Mark VII headstock with a Mark V headstock. There are several people that own and play with the Mark VII. One is Farmer at robinson46176@yahoo.com who has a collection of them. Another person is at http://www.califsawdustman.com/ who I believe had some Mark VII parts for sale last year. Bob Fulwider (Email = bobrepairs85@sbcglobal Phone after 1000 PST - 775-828-0957 ) had a lot of Mark VII parts for sale last year. I have only done repairs on the Mark V and 10E/10ER Shopsmiths at this time.

Other than the different Speed control setup, it's pretty much the same as a MarkV. Same Quill and drive sleeve (Poly-V), control sheave assembly (only there's the follower out the end instead of the clip), A reversible motor is advertised but both Mark VII I have seen had only an on/off switch. If it has a reversible motor that works, it is worth the $300 for the unique motor capability.

One other major difference is the crank for headstock movement. There's a rack/pinion setup for moving the headstock on the ways. This was removed when using the Mark V headstock.

Bill Mayo
osx-addict
Gold Member

Post by osx-addict »

Just to resurrect this thread a bit.. Someone locally is desperate to get rid of a Mark VII for $150 and it comes with the band saw and extra blades + accessories.. I was tempted to get it to use for parts -- acquiring an extra headstock (albeit perhaps a bit different) and a bandsaw (I've already got one).. Can I use this headstock to make a shorty/mini and can the bandsaw be used on a Mark V?

I realize that I'm missing the proper pieces to make a shorty/mini since the base is significantly different but I should be able to use the tubes and whatnot -- correct? I'd probably scrap the large storage base or remove it from the pedestal if possible for wall-mount storage instead.. Comments?

P.S. I'd probably offer him $100 (or perhaps $75) for the entire shebang if he's desperate as he appears.
Rick
S/W of Los Angeles, CA
1983 Mark V model 510 (SN#140061)
billmayo
Platinum Member

shopsmith mark VII

Post by billmayo »

The bandsaw fits the Mark V. You are right, the Mark VII has a separate base which would prevent you from making a MINI or SHORTY from it. If it has the reversable motor that works, I would buy it quickly. Still, $100 would be a good deal. The way tubes are the same diameter as the Mark V. I am sure you can find the pieces needed on Ebay to convert to a Mark V MINI. Good Luck with the purchase.

Bill Mayo
osx-addict wrote:Just to resurrect this thread a bit.. Someone locally is desperate to get rid of a Mark VII for $150 and it comes with the band saw and extra blades + accessories.. I was tempted to get it to use for parts -- acquiring an extra headstock (albeit perhaps a bit different) and a bandsaw (I've already got one).. Can I use this headstock to make a shorty/mini and can the bandsaw be used on a Mark V?

I realize that I'm missing the proper pieces to make a shorty/mini since the base is significantly different but I should be able to use the tubes and whatnot -- correct? I'd probably scrap the large storage base or remove it from the pedestal if possible for wall-mount storage instead.. Comments?

P.S. I'd probably offer him $100 (or perhaps $75) for the entire shebang if he's desperate as he appears.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
nolen
Bronze Member

Post by nolen »

I have had a ShopSmith Mark VII since 1966 and used it in all respects. The speed control melted twice, so I had a machinist fabricate one out of aluminum. We also replaced the guides with teflon ones eliminating the posibility of undue friction. This was done in 1997 and "Seven" has performed excellently since. The specs for the speed control are readily available. As for purchasing a Mark V, I highly recommend checking its operation by running through its paces, including attachments, if any. You won't be disappointed if it performs well.
schmelifox2
Bronze Member

Post by schmelifox2 »

I bought and have been using a mark vii since 99. I just replaced the original forward reverse switch with two switches so can still reverse motor if ever needed. Used a piece of sheet metal behind the old key hole and switch hole to put in dpdt toggle and spdt rocker. Nolen - do you have any spare aluminum speed controls?
smithy2010
Bronze Member

Post by smithy2010 »

Have an opportunity to buy a Mark VII. Will the bandsaw work on the Mark V? Can I replace the base with Mark V legs and base?