double tilt base

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

benchguy
Silver Member

double tilt base

Post by benchguy »

I just upgraded to a double tilt base & a power lift assist. These were added after my PowerPro headstock upgrade. The lock knob on the double tilt pivot arm seemed tight, but when I raised the headstock to the right (into drillpress mode), the pivot arm came off the base and torqued. One corner of the pivot arm broke off. Normally the pivot arm stays on the base rail only by the right & left corners.

Question: anyone else encounter similar problems with the lock knob not tightening sufficiently? If so, has anyone else tried to epoxy the cast iron pivot arm back in place?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

benchguy wrote:I just upgraded to a double tilt base & a power lift assist. These were added after my PowerPro headstock upgrade. The lock knob on the double tilt pivot arm seemed tight, but when I raised the headstock to the right (into drillpress mode), the pivot arm came off the base and torqued. One corner of the pivot arm broke off. Normally the pivot arm stays on the base rail only by the right & left corners.

Question: anyone else encounter similar problems with the lock knob not tightening sufficiently? If so, has anyone else tried to epoxy the cast iron pivot arm back in place?
Don't epoxy anything until you have talked to customer service! This is most likely a warranty issue.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
benchguy
Silver Member

double tilt base issue

Post by benchguy »

After just posting my problem here, I called Shopsmith and they are sending me out a new pivot arm assembly. Problem resolved very quickly.
2bits
Gold Member

Post by 2bits »

Sorry to hear about your problem. I am really glad to hear that Shopsmith has responded in a positive manner:)
benchguy
Silver Member

Double tilt base

Post by benchguy »

Customer Service very quickly offered to replace the pivoy arm. No hassles. I just described what happened....end of discussion...a new piece will be sent. Kudos to Shopsmith.

My table/fence upgrade from a 500 to a 520 is due to ship in a few weeks. I'll then have my 1982 Mark V upgrade completed to a Mark 7. I have to say this new PowerPro motor is amazing.
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

It's nice to know that they're listening.
Or in this case, monitoring.
Good Job SS
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
benchguy
Silver Member

Double Tilt Lift Issue

Post by benchguy »

I figured out why I had an issue with my double tilt lift upgrade "failure". The lock knob was defective. The knob was retracted in on the screw post so the post did not engage the rod on the base as well as it should have. (see photo) Although it seemed OK, when I attached the power lift and raised the rails, the pivot arm came off and torqued and snapped off the corner. The lock knob should be flush with the end of the screw post & not move.

As I mentioned in my other posting, Shopsmith promptly agreed to replace the lock knob and pivot arm. (This was before we figured out what the issue was.) Shopsmith's engineer contacted me to sort out the problem. This was an excellent experience with Shopsmith's customer service.
Attachments
Lock Knob.JPG
Lock Knob.JPG (81.35 KiB) Viewed 2894 times
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

benchguy wrote:I just upgraded to a double tilt base & a power lift assist. These were added after my PowerPro headstock upgrade.

I just ordered the double tilt upgrade from Lowes (I plan on selling my standalone router table to free up space and help defray the cost) and was wondering how you did the upgrade. Did you remove the headstock? Turn the unit upside down? Any tricks?
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

No I did not remove the headstock. The instructions come with a jig that is easily constructed out of scrap. In my case I spread a moving blanket on the floor used the jig and turned the unit upside down. I was pleased at how one end is easily dismantled and reassembled with new parts, then the other end. The interesting part I noted was how well everything fit together with the base off the floor (no stress on base). I also installed the new wheel upgrade while I was at it. At another time I removed the table and replaced the posts myself. Easily a one man job for that part. The good news being I hope to upgrade my second Mark V the same way this weekend (assuming my helpers show up). In fact the OPR shorty will also get the new wheel upgrade at the same time. I can hardly wait. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.