SS made in USA

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farley
Platinum Member

SS made in USA

Post by farley »

How American is SS and the SPT tools and accessories?

Anybody know?
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

farley wrote:How American is SS and the SPT tools and accessories?

Anybody know?
Its certainly "assembled in the usa from foreign and domestically sourced components"

The powerpro motor and electronics are almost certainly from china since that is where teknatool manufactures their stuff for the nova DVR.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

farley wrote:How American is SS and the SPT tools and accessories?

Anybody know?
It ain't releasing its long form birth certificate any time soon.
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

By all accounts, it's as all American as its going to get in this tool market. The best I understand from the tools appearance on "cool tools" is that each machine gets in person attention at the factory. Parts may be from around, however.
dforeman
Gold Member

Post by dforeman »

I don't know about all the Shopsmith products but customer service told me that their circular saw blades are produced in Germany.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

dforeman wrote:I don't know about all the Shopsmith products but customer service told me that their circular saw blades are produced in Germany.
Amana - if I am not mistaken.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

As much as I try to seek out made in USA products, we have become an international based marketplace. Since the USA has given up steel production material will be international. Many designs followed research in aerospace invention, but we are reducing NASA to a shell. I truly worry about the world I will be leaving to my grandchildren.
Anyway, but still on topic: I just came back from a wonderful vacation in Kauai.:cool: And I brought home a few things for the kids and grandkids. The shark tooth necklass, "designed in Hawaii" was "made in China". I just found out the Hawaii Cigars were made in Honduras.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
Billdit
Gold Member

Post by Billdit »

Main things "Made in America" are the government activities that keep making it harder to make anything in America..

Where do you think the little tags that say "Made in America" are made?
Bill

Mark V 1981 upgraded to 520 and PowerPro, w/ Band Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, Jigsaw, and a bunch of previous owners 1980's jigs, accessories, and unknown parts.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I read once that a company (not Shopsmith or any woodworking related co.) was advertising Made in America True statement but was made in South America.

I read a lot of woodworking forums and some seem to give a company a negative marks if every thing on a tool is not USA made. For me if a product is just assembled here that is OK with me. Just as long we have a building and people working in this country all the other stuff will follow. With the price of oil now days, how long will it be cost effective for a company to manufacture anything overseas and have it shipped to the United States vs just making it here?????

If I remember correct from the Shopsmith owners weekend factory tour. They said the castings were cast within driving distance from the factory by another company and Shopsmith did the machining in house. Anyone remember if I'm correct? At that time they had a big bin of Sheave next to a CNC machine so manufacturing was going on in house.
My guess, without knowing for sure, that most of the Shopsmith is USA made. There has been overseas copy of Shopsmith products in the past (IE- Total Shop) If Shopsmith was interested in overseas stuff they would just hook up with them and slap a Shopsmith logo on it. They would not have to do anything but warehouse and sell product.
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
dforeman
Gold Member

Post by dforeman »

I see. Amana, Germany. According to Google Earth it is located in Hamburg. I didn't know Amana was named after a location.