Mark VII Cam speed control

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

gpartin
Silver Member

Mark VII Cam speed control

Post by gpartin »

Hey all, I am going to a plastics molding company tomorrow mornibng to see about getting a cam speed control mold made for the Mark VII

I know it is going to be costly but just thought I would check it out and I am curious as to what the demand might be for this replacement part?

I am sitting on 3 Mark VIIs myself with only one good cam, anyone that may be interest please let me know what you think, I have had the part at a machin e sho[p for weeks and they recommended going this route as I have heard Aluminum parts would warp and there is just too much machining involved after the mold

Also I have the original part but if someone has actual specs on it that would be great ...thanks ..Glen
Attachments
IMG_0132 (800x600).jpg
IMG_0132 (800x600).jpg (235.2 KiB) Viewed 3985 times
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Your best bet about the interet might be on ebay.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
chucks
Gold Member

Post by chucks »

If I can find a Mark VII, I'd be interested! (As long as the Wife lets me add to my 4 Mark V's)
Chucks in Phoenix Mark V(5), Mark VII(2),Power Pro, Planer, Crafter Station, Jointer,Bandsaw(3),Lathe Duplicator,Belt Sander,Jig Saw,DC3300(2),"Sears Router Crafter", Post Drill, Stand alone Overarm Router. Jointmatic ++++,
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

G,
You and I have been down the same road and have corresponded I believe on this. I still have not heard back from my machinist and it has been almost a year??? Go figure?? I have even been looking at mini cnc mills for myself at home as they could do the dirty work of making the cam follower. The problem is I have no idea how to go about inputting all the information necessary to program the CNC to cut the cam. But the journey would be fun. Let me know if you have any luck finding a company to make the part for you. I never really considered the plastics company idea as I always felt that getting one made out of something more durable was the way to go but if they could be produced from plastic then just buying a bunch of them would suffice I guess.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
briallpro
Bronze Member

Mark VII can

Post by briallpro »

Anyone ever have any sucess sourcing the Mark VII speed cam? My early 1960's Mark VII is still functioning but running it for 30 seconds at at at time with a half hour cooling off period is getting old...:)
Brian
gpartin wrote:Hey all, I am going to a plastics molding company tomorrow mornibng to see about getting a cam speed control mold made for the Mark VII

I know it is going to be costly but just thought I would check it out and I am curious as to what the demand might be for this replacement part?

I am sitting on 3 Mark VIIs myself with only one good cam, anyone that may be interest please let me know what you think, I have had the part at a machin e sho[p for weeks and they recommended going this route as I have heard Aluminum parts would warp and there is just too much machining involved after the mold

Also I have the original part but if someone has actual specs on it that would be great ...thanks ..Glen
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

There was an individual who visited here. I believe he had it machined out of aluminum. His username is "hdoilcan".

Here was his post on shopsmith users group

http://www.ssug.org/index.php/forum/8-mark-vii/11125-mark-vii-aluminum-cams-4-sale

On a side note, isn't the function of this part to basically pull/close the sheaves. One would wonder if you could rig up something like a mini hoist, maybe a fishing reel to do that. I supposed it would have to be really strong line or is there more to this part.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

briallpro wrote:Anyone ever have any sucess sourcing the Mark VII speed cam? My early 1960's Mark VII is still functioning but running it for 30 seconds at at at time with a half hour cooling off period is getting old...:)
Brian

Yes hdoilcan did indeed get some made out of aluminum, and an excellent job was done.

He had a few 'extras'(only he and I put money up front) made and was intending to sell them(they ain't cheap, but are a solution, and a permanent one at that!).

I do not know what the status of that is.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9912

However a greater question is why does 1/2 hr cause 'overheating'? Is the cam follower getting hot, the motor, or the entire headstock? is the idler shaft well lubricated? Is the follower bearing well lubricated? Are the motor bearings ok?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG40504 wrote:However a greater question is why does 1/2 hr cause 'overheating'?

The 1/2 hr is the COOLING OFF period, after running it for 30 SECONDS.:eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:The 1/2 hr is the COOLING OFF period, after running it for 30 SECONDS.:eek:
Seems the question is much 'greater' that I realized.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
gchapman
Gold Member

Post by gchapman »

This really sounds like the bearing on the end of the cam follower is bad. I have the same issue with mine and have not had time to tear it down and get part numbers for a replacement bearing.
Greg
DC3300 Dust Collector
Ridgid TS3650, Ridgid JP0610, Dewalt DW735 Planer