Twin Goldie

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

easterngray
Platinum Member

Twin Goldie

Post by easterngray »

Hi Folks - haven't been around the forum much because of "real life" responsibilities, but I thought I would share my latest find with you. First off - do I need a second Shopsmith? Most certainly not. I barely have time lately to use the one I have! That said, when a Shopsmith fan sees a beautiful little 1960 "Goldie" 500 in great shape with all sorts of small accessories and a nice jig saw for 250 dollars, can he say no? Even if he already has a 1960 Goldie?! This fan could not. I am now the proud parent of twins.
The fellow that owned this Mark 5 took nice care of it. It runs great, but I will go through it anyway. It got a new 3/4 HP motor in 1986 and new belts in '00. The paint is all original and the way and bench tubes are nice and clean. I got a mess of blades and arbors, a sanding disc, shaper fence, nice Jig Saw, morticing hold down, many jig saw blades, and best of all, the model 500 larger auxiliary table upgrade, which is something I always wanted, but did not have. The speed dial had been replaced as well and the old one with stripped teeth was included. Typical Shopsmith guy! LOL. Lots of manuals and paperwork too. I never thought I would make this sort of leap, and who knows what her future will be - maybe for my daughter - she loves working in the shop with her dad. Now I have to make room in an already crowded shop! Alec

1960 Mark 5 "Goldie" Serial No. 367957
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

That's a beauty. Well done.
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

========================================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fiatben
Platinum Member

Scoooorrrreeee!!!!

Post by fiatben »

Sweet!!
Gotta love a real bargain like that.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Thanks guys - my 12 year old daughter came home from school this afternoon and I presented her with her new Shopsmith- she was delighted! we already applied PB Blaster to the knobs on the jig saw and loosened it up - it's the only thing that needs real repair. This is going to be a wonderful Father/daughter project and hopefully by the end of school vacation week (next week) her fully fuctional Mark 5 will be with mine in the shop. We decided that our first project together will be a storage cabinet to hang under the bench tubes of her "Goldie". Mom didn't take it too badly when she saw the smile on her daughters face! Alec
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

easterngray wrote:Thanks guys - my 12 year old daughter came home from school this afternoon and I presented her with her new Shopsmith- she was delighted! we already applied PB Blaster to the knobs on the jig saw and loosened it up - it's the only thing that needs real repair. This is going to be a wonderful Father/daughter project and hopefully by the end of school vacation week (next week) her fully fuctional Mark 5 will be with mine in the shop. We decided that our first project together will be a storage cabinet to hang under the bench tubes of her "Goldie". Mom didn't take it too badly when she saw the smile on her daughters face! Alec

Thats awesome sir!
R Hart
trainguytom
Gold Member

Post by trainguytom »

easterngray wrote: do I need a second Shopsmith? Most certainly not
Of course you do. I think it's reasonable to "need" another Shopsmith at least until you have 5...one for each basic tool, that way, even though change time is minimal, you won't even have that. (That's what I told my wife, anyway)
My dad's 1951 10er, 2 more 10er's, same vintage, a Goldie MK5, a 510 shortie with 34inch tubes, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, a ton of small SS goodies and still looking...you just can't have enough Shopsmith stuff
mgbbob
Gold Member

Post by mgbbob »

great machine. We all need two......or more.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

mgbbob wrote:great machine. We all need two......or more.
More and More and so who knows how many? ? ?
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
chucks
Gold Member

Post by chucks »

trainguytom wrote:Of course you do. I think it's reasonable to "need" another Shopsmith at least until you have 5...one for each basic tool, that way, even though change time is minimal, you won't even have that. (That's what I told my wife, anyway)

Nice thought...but I'm already there...so I was thing of one for every SPT as well. How many are we up to now? Francis...have an extra barn you can send my way?
Chucks in Phoenix Mark V(5), Mark VII(2),Power Pro, Planer, Crafter Station, Jointer,Bandsaw(3),Lathe Duplicator,Belt Sander,Jig Saw,DC3300(2),"Sears Router Crafter", Post Drill, Stand alone Overarm Router. Jointmatic ++++,