Shopsmiths 3" caster upgrade as it unfolds

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Shopsmiths 3" caster upgrade as it unfolds

Post by reible »

After the last thread on the subject I couldn't help but wonder what I was getting into, especially after never expecting to ever purchase a set. So it happened I purchased a set and then are in my shop waiting for me to have the time to check them out.

First I'd like to show you what I face when I have to take my shopsmith outside to work. The driveway has sunk by about 2" and pulled back from the concrete. It is hard to see from the picture but that is what the situation is.

[ATTACH]16973[/ATTACH]

I built a ramp to solve some of this issue.

[ATTACH]16974[/ATTACH]

You can only guess what the rest of the driveway has to offer...

Even with the bigger wheels this is not going to be a case of the shopsmith rolling off to smoother pastures.

Next post we will look at the existing casters system.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF3067sc.jpg
DSCF3067sc.jpg (135.95 KiB) Viewed 19486 times
DSCF3069sc.jpg
DSCF3069sc.jpg (124.11 KiB) Viewed 19498 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Remember when we were told that we got a 1/4" lift then a 1/2" lift as you raised the machine?

So I should see this on my stock 1976 model machine with all factory parts right?

Alright both legs in the first position on a smooth concrete floor.

[ATTACH]16975[/ATTACH]

Using brass bars to measure a 1/4" is not even close to going under the leg. I then used a 3/16" and it went farther but still not enough to say the leg was clearing even that.

[ATTACH]16976[/ATTACH]

Any better at the second position? No, the 1/2" bar is a no-go.

[ATTACH]16977[/ATTACH]

A 3/8" bar does fit with just a little wiggle room.

[ATTACH]16978[/ATTACH]

I'll let you think about that for a while.

Next I wanted to see how high off the ground a wheel would be when the machine is sitting on the legs. Turns out it is just less then 1/8".

[ATTACH]16979[/ATTACH]

The wheels are still in pretty good shape but it could be they are worn that much??

Ed
Attachments
DSCF3037sc.jpg
DSCF3037sc.jpg (121.81 KiB) Viewed 19499 times
DSCF3038sc.jpg
DSCF3038sc.jpg (125.45 KiB) Viewed 19495 times
DSCF3036sc.jpg
DSCF3036sc.jpg (127.53 KiB) Viewed 19506 times
DSCF3039sc.jpg
DSCF3039sc.jpg (108.95 KiB) Viewed 19485 times
DSCF3044sc.jpg
DSCF3044sc.jpg (54.46 KiB) Viewed 19481 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

One other item I could easily check by installing the casters without changing the mounting was to see if the lever hit the caster... it was mentioned I think twice in the other thread so now we have seen this at least 3 times.

[ATTACH]16980[/ATTACH]

I'm not going to attempt to solve this just yet. A little grinding or a couple of washers might well be the fix but I'll come back to this later.

Ed
Attachments
DSCF3073sc.jpg
DSCF3073sc.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 19504 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I hate to even post this but since this was what was given to me to work off of you might as well see it too. If anyone has a better copy please let us know....

[ATTACH]16981[/ATTACH]

Can anyone tell what is going on in this picture? And no that is not the only like that.

It is not that shopsmith can't get it right it is just that they don't do it right all the time. As contrast this is a shot of the paper work that came with the non-through cut riving knife.

[ATTACH]16982[/ATTACH]

See, this is what I mean, no doubt what is going on here.

If I were grading the paper work for the caster upgrade it would be a solid "D".

Ed

BTW when I upgraded from my 500 to 520 the manual had these same muddy photos and when I called about they pretty much said tough luck this is what you get. Yes it was who you think it was who I talked to.
Attachments
IMG_3025sc.jpg
IMG_3025sc.jpg (83.27 KiB) Viewed 19466 times
IMG_3026sc.jpg
IMG_3026sc.jpg (85.5 KiB) Viewed 19450 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Speaking of paper work, the instructions are dated 09/11 Rev A. The templates are dated 03-12 Rev C.

The hole spacing would appear to be 1-3/4" if anyone cares.

Ed
greitz
Gold Member

Post by greitz »

Ed- I received my 3" caster set this week and installed it today. My paperwork is the same as yours.

No problems with the installation, except that I apparently can't drill holes straight, and I apparently have cheap, dull twist drill bits. I had to elongate a couple of holes with a file, and it took a loooong time to drill through the steel.

Anyway, it's done, and it rolls great! Maybe too good, my wife says that now she can move it out of the way whenever she needs to.:eek:

Gary
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible wrote:Speaking of paper work, the instructions are dated 09/11 Rev A. The templates are dated 03-12 Rev C.

The hole spacing would appear to be 1-3/4" if anyone cares.

Ed
I care. I also think that may be too much. No facts, just conclusions from other's experience.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Got some time to revisit this issue today. As far as I can tell I have four solutions.

1) Not use the new casters.
2) Add washers to clear the situation
3) Grind away the pedal.
4) Move the pedal.

For now #1 will not be a long term solution. It will be a solution until I pick a path and make the adjustments.

Adding washers will no doubt work but then that will effect the mounting hole positions. When I go to the hardware store I will pick up a box of washers and see how many are needed and how much taller that will make things. While this is easy to adjust this way I'm not inclined to conclude this is the best way.

I'm not so sure I want to grind away part of the pedal. I'm also not sure if this a better way to do things in the long run. It does have the advantage of not changing the height...

As of this moment I'm entertaining the idea of moving the location of the pedal. The measurements I did indicate the contact area is about 3/8" so if the pedal were moved over 1/2" it would clear the caster top. I don't see having the pedal over another 1/2" will have any bad effects. Since I have more then one shopsmith I can use the other one set up as a drill press to add a second hole, should be an easy task. This also doesn't effect the height issue.

Anyone see any problems with my reasoning so far?

Ed

reible wrote:One other item I could easily check by installing the casters without changing the mounting was to see if the lever hit the caster... it was mentioned I think twice in the other thread so now we have seen this at least 3 times.

[ATTACH]16980[/ATTACH]

I'm not going to attempt to solve this just yet. A little grinding or a couple of washers might well be the fix but I'll come back to this later.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

reible wrote:One other item I could easily check by installing the casters without changing the mounting was to see if the lever hit the caster... it was mentioned I think twice in the other thread so now we have seen this at least 3 times.

[ATTACH]16980[/ATTACH]

Ed
I don't have the new casters so my comments are pure speculation.

Is it possible that the interference issue is a byproduct of caster assemblies of different vintages. Some people have trouble and others don't.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
oldc6
Gold Member

just move the levers closer to center.

Post by oldc6 »

the used 510 i bought last fall had a greenie caster set installled on it. when i was going to put the new SS casters on it the levers would hit the casters. i took the lift kit from my 500 and put the new casters on it.

the olders ones have the levers closer to the edge of the casters. use a 1/8 punch and knock out pin in lever and move over enough to clear new casters and will work fine. i think this was covered in another thread somewhere on the forum............