Platinum Member

Google NASCAR

Post by cincinnati »

"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

That is unreal. The technology that we have now days is just phenomenal. Just makes you wonder what will be next. Just think if you were in a motor home you could get up and go to the bathroom or make you a sandwich. :D Thanks for the link.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

And, what happens when a cloud or other electronic interference comes between the reciever and the broadcaster. As a customer of DirectTV, can't get anything in a good down pour. And, the cable provider is no better. They go off the air during the middle or busy part of the business day and are down for hours. I would hope the driver can take over when the signal goes off and that the driver has some warning to take over. And, hope the driver can do a quick and safe recovery. Sorry, safety to me is number one. Very interesting concepts.
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Uhhh, this looks like an April Fool's prank.
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

algale wrote:Uhhh, this looks like an April Fool's prank.
I believe you're correct, but Google DOES have the self driving car project and they HAVE logged over 200,000 miles. That much IS a reality.
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I find it difficult to believe that NASCAR is gong to mixed men and machines on the track in direct competition with one another but beyond that it is all within the realm of reality.

However, I have had a couple experiences with Google Map that lead me to believe there is a lot of work to do there too.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Talking about google maps my neighbor just has an interesting experience.
His son lives in the pan handle of Florida and a trip to visit him is about a 6 hour drive. He always drives it and his wife just rides.

Last week his wife had to make the trip my neighbor wanted to draw his wife a map but she insisted her Nav system would get her there and his map was unneeded. So she got out her GPS Turn by Turn Navigation system and left.

a normal trip there is about 10 miles of secondary roads (paved two lane or more) and the rest on two interstates.

His wife made the drive but it took 9 hours and she traveled on everything from sand cover one lane roads to interstate but her interstate travel was less than half the trip. Sand covered one lane roads were about 30-50 miles she isn't sure she was so scared she doesn't know for sure.

Her husband is having a field day with her. Telling her all she had to do was go down this road get on the interstate, when she got to right before Lake City switch to another interstate and get off at exit X and take a right and drive down that road until she got to the community her son lived in.

She claims she was on a hundred different roads. Apparently the Nav system took on on and off the interstate system a half dozen times and we can't figure our why.

After that I think I will keep my paper maps thank you!
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
bffulgham
Gold Member

Post by bffulgham »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Talking about google maps my neighbor just has an interesting experience.
His son lives in the pan handle of Florida and a trip to visit him is about a 6 hour drive. He always drives it and his wife just rides.

Last week his wife had to make the trip my neighbor wanted to draw his wife a map but she insisted her Nav system would get her there and his map was unneeded. So she got out her GPS Turn by Turn Navigation system and left.

a normal trip there is about 10 miles of secondary roads (paved two lane or more) and the rest on two interstates.

His wife made the drive but it took 9 hours and she traveled on everything from sand cover one lane roads to interstate but her interstate travel was less than half the trip. Sand covered one lane roads were about 30-50 miles she isn't sure she was so scared she doesn't know for sure.

Her husband is having a field day with her. Telling her all she had to do was go down this road get on the interstate, when she got to right before Lake City switch to another interstate and get off at exit X and take a right and drive down that road until she got to the community her son lived in.

She claims she was on a hundred different roads. Apparently the Nav system took on on and off the interstate system a half dozen times and we can't figure our why.

After that I think I will keep my paper maps thank you!
That's exactly why we compare the route our Garmin picks to the real paper map. Was all over the FL Panhandle and N Central FL just a couple of weeks ago :D
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
spiderclimber
Gold Member

Post by spiderclimber »

GPS is for getting to an unknown place where you don't have the slightest clue of how to get there. It almost never takes you the shortest route. Once you know where you are going it is more for a detour to get you back on track than an actual map. Funny thing is, most couldn't read a map today if they tried or be able to use a cognitive map to figure out where they need to be if the GPS is wrong.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

GPS Navigation must be a bit different than it was a few years ago when I was installing early GPS systems in public safety and transportation fleets.

It sounds like you just get in and "think - OKAY, I want to go to Virginia City" and the system takes over. Back in the old days, you had to do some pre-programming, answer a couple questions and then follow directions. I know, I know - Google has come a long way. I just did not know it had come that far.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.