Building a cold frame for plants

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

smredleg
Gold Member

Post by smredleg »

Back in the dark ages (1978) Ortho published a lot of books, including, "How to Build & Use Greenhouses." CP 75 on coldframes, both in and above ground. PM me, and I'd gladly copy and send you some of their plans.
SS PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, bisket cutter & dust collector. Plus a DeWalt 735 planner, and router.
jimthej
Gold Member

Post by jimthej »

I like your idea for the moveable planter. Treated wood in contact with ground, not plants. Maybe redwood slats in the bottom with spaces for drainage. If needed maybe 1/2 inch mesh gavanized hardware cloth over the slats.
The auto temp control sounds real good, otherwise you'll spend so much time babysitting, you'll think $34.90 per plant was cheap.:eek:
Jim in Bakersfield:D
oddie
Gold Member

Post by oddie »

Another wood to consider is cypress. Somewhere in my past I built above ground planting beds with it based upon common use at the time. But I got transferred after a couple of years so I don't know how long it lasted in contact with the ground and in the weather.
Have a safe day!

Oddie

510(upgraded 500), 500, 10ER, power station, belt sander, bandsaw, jointer, SS compressor, jigsaw, dust collector