Seeking advice ... miter of choice.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

I find the Shopsmith miter quite difficult to adjust square to the blade. As you turn the knob it always makes it slip out of square.
Some of you have bought the Incra miter for Shopsmith, do you have an easier time to adjust ?
Did any of you with the Incra miter went ahead and upgraded it to the Incra 1000SE system ?
Is it possible to buy parts from Incra in order to do so ?
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

I haven't changed miter systems from stock, but I did get the Miterset accessory and I like it for getting things set well:
http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2662
Chris
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

camerio wrote:I find the Shopsmith miter quite difficult to adjust square to the blade. As you turn the knob it always makes it slip out of square.
Some of you have bought the Incra miter for Shopsmith, do you have an easier time to adjust ?
Did any of you with the Incra miter went ahead and upgraded it to the Incra 1000SE system ?
Is it possible to buy parts from Incra in order to do so ?
If you mean that tightening the knob causes the protractor head to move out of alignment, I had the same problem not long ago. I solved the problem by putting a second washer under the knob.

The Incra products are very good (I don't have the Shopsmith version but used an Incra on my old contractor saw). Main advantage of the Incra is the ease of going back and forth between any angle and the 0 setting. The bar also adjust to take out all the slop.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I use both the Incra V120 and the Shopsmith Miter Gauge. They both work very well for me. I too use the MiterSet to set angles on the Shopsmith Miter Gauge. I agree that the Incra V120's strong point is its ability to change angles and return without loosing accuracy.

I do not have the 1000SE but I know there are users here that do. I'll not speak for them with regard to its virtues. Someone will, however, of that I am certain.

Yes, you can buy parts from Incra. Check here.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

algale wrote:If you mean that tightening the knob causes the protractor head to move out of alignment, I had the same problem not long ago. I solved the problem by putting a second washer under the knob.

The Incra products are very good (I don't have the Shopsmith version but used an Incra on my old contractor saw). Main advantage of the Incra is the ease of going back and forth between any angle and the 0 setting. The bar also adjust to take out all the slop.
Post is at:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=9582

Ed
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Thanks Ed
I misted that thread and sure enough there was only one washer ... and I have never taken the knob of before so how come ... ? Mystery to me.
I have put a second washer and as the say in french "voilà" that did the job. No moving as I was tightening with my allen wrench.
Thanks Dusty for your answer on the Incra.
I know there are parts, but the 120 dial and 1000SE dial do not quite look the same, that is why I was asking. As you said someone else may have done this. Otherwise I could contact Incra.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

I'm glad this worked for you as it did for me as well. Now there are two of us who have documented that, for at least some Shopsmith miter gauges, having the second washer serves a distinct function.

Al
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

I also took care of the side play there was when I was gripping the handle. I took out tapping screw #253 on the exploded view, which I could not tighten any further and sure enough there was a small washer that came out between the cut part of the handle and the #276 part I guess, I have succeeded in putting two more washers of the same size plus the one that was there (it is not easy) but that took care of this side play. Now my handle is nice and firmly in place and ready for action. I also took care of adjusting the screw that is responsible for the 90 degrees and now I can go back to that position with no hesitation.
The more I use this machine the more I am amazed at what we can do with it.
And this forum and its members to top it all.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Camerio, I have a 1000SE miter gauge, but it is for a Delta table saw. I knew I had an Incra, but didn't know the model number until I looked.

I don't believe it will fit the Shopsmith. In addition to the wider miter bar, the 1000SE seems to be too wide for the Shopsmith. When I put it on my 510 table, it looked as if the protractor was too wide and would hit the saw blade. The overlap looked to be in the neighborhood of 1/4".

Some of the differences between 1000SE and the V120 are that the 1000SE has a vernier scale that allows 1/10 of a degree of resolution as opposed to 1 degree on the V120, and it comes with an aluminum miter fence and stop block that uses those Incra racks/teeth that allow for repeatable setting.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I use and enjoy the V120 daily always finding it accurate for most work. Today I needed the best possible results thus turned to my Incra 5000 to cut miters for a door frame I just installed for my wife. This particular door is a pantry located in the hallway adjacent to the kitchen. Prior to the new door my wife requested a spice rack covering most of the inside of the door. The hollow core door would never allow that. This new door will be a center piece of the living area thus needed to be perfect. A good friend (a talented carpenter) has been doing some work at a neighbors home to ready it for sale. He stopped by with the invoice for some of his work and checked my door install. His eyes went right to the miters on the trim. He was amazed this one armed man could nail miters so well. I had to confess the Incra 5000 and my Power Pro were the real hero's. Shopsmith and their partnership with Incra make for top notch tools. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.