New Saw Blades

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

the last couple of Irwin blades that I have used were crap.
One was so badly out of balance new, that I thought something was wrong with the bearings in my tablesaw.
When I realized it was the blade, I tossed it.
The store didn't take back used blades.
Irwin is part of a large and soulless "bottom dollar" corporation (they moved ViseGrip production to China.)
I try not to give them any of my money.
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Nick Engler has given us some valuable saw blade information;

http://www.shopsmithacademy.com/SS_Arch ... Blades.htm
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Until Amana came into the picture, I believe the Shopsmith blades were manufactured by Freud. Please correct me if I am wrong but it is my opinion that being Freud is the reason why the old Shopsmith blades perform so well. I have three that are about to be sent for sharpening. That should keep me running for quit some time.

Are the blades that Shopsmith sells now/still from Amana??
MarkFive510
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

i'm a really frugal (read cheap) person. My buddy says I throw quarters around like man hole covers.

It is my experience that you are dollars ahead to buy good blades and to sharpen them when dull. I usually buy Shopsmith blades and I think they work best after their first sharpening.

Here in Tampa we have a great saw sharpening service (Roberts Saw). He is reasonable and I'm totally convinced a sharpened saw blade done by an expert is a better than most new blades.

A sharp blade can produce fantastic results, with less strain and are far safer than less sharp blades. Dull blade leads to frustration and mistakes that can and often due lead to accidents.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
jimthej
Gold Member

Saw Blades

Post by jimthej »

Our local guy charges by the tooth. The 50 tooth carbide blade is about $35 to sharpen. If they weren't so good after being sharpened, I would just replace them.
Jim in Bakersfield:D
aloibl
Gold Member

Post by aloibl »

On the boxes of my new Shopsmith blades were details showing the angles that needed to be used to re-sharpen blades. Do you give whoever is sharpening the blades this information so they will sharpen them correctly??? Or is the standard for most blades?
Alan - Austin, Texas

Shopsmith Mark V (1984), Bandsaw, Joiner, Belt sander, jig saw, planer, router table, biscuit jointer, Porter jig,
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

Is that information something you can post? It might be interesting to compare with angles etc from other makers. I don't know but there probably is a standard - that everyone deviates from for their own reasons.
MarkFive510
aloibl
Gold Member

Post by aloibl »

"Bigsky" the three attachments for the three blades are attached. I had already cut these off of the boxes and just scanned them in today.
Attachments
Sharpening of Combination Saw Item No 555958.pdf
(207.96 KiB) Downloaded 573 times
Sharpening of Crosscut Saw Item No 555960.pdf
(198.03 KiB) Downloaded 562 times
Sharpening of Rip Saw Item No 555959.pdf
(199.66 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Alan - Austin, Texas

Shopsmith Mark V (1984), Bandsaw, Joiner, Belt sander, jig saw, planer, router table, biscuit jointer, Porter jig,
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Maybe I'm just a little retarded, but my simpler method of sharpening works very well. I just grind a little on the leading edge of each tooth. (the 15 degree angle on all Shopsmith blades) I figure the other angles of each tooth do not change so all that needs doing is to re-establish the sharp angles on the edges of each tooth. If there has been a nick in any tooth, it only requires a little more grinding.

P.S. I use one of those saw blade sharpening jigs from Harbor Freight.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

jimthej wrote:Our local guy charges by the tooth. The 50 tooth carbide blade is about $35 to sharpen. If they weren't so good after being sharpened, I would just replace them.
$35?!? That's outrageous. I think my local sharpening shop charged me $6 IIRC. I would tell them no, and would tell them why, and would look elsewhere!

Sincerely,

Ron309753