New Saw Blades

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

aloibl
Gold Member

New Saw Blades

Post by aloibl »

I have been practicing with my Shopsmith for about a year now trying to learn the basics of woodworking. I was using the sawblades that came with the used unit. I just received a new set of Shopsmith saw blades for Christmas and was able to use them the first time yesterday and extensively today. OMG!!! They cut like butter compared to the blades that I had. Smooth cuts, easy to push the wood through and no binding. Like a new machine!! Should have had the old blades sharpened before I started using them at the very least.
Alan - Austin, Texas

Shopsmith Mark V (1984), Bandsaw, Joiner, Belt sander, jig saw, planer, router table, biscuit jointer, Porter jig,
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Not only are new blades a pleasure to use they are SAFER by far. Dirty or dull blades are dangerous to use for one of the reasons you mentioned.
They (new) blades require less pressure to move the work through and are safer as a result. Also, dirty blades with pitch or rust on them can catch the stock on the sides of the blade and cause a kickback. I believe that kickbacks cause more injuries when using a table saw than any other occurence. (SawStop does not prevent kickback!!)
NEVER EVER force any work on a table saw. If you have to use a lot of pressure to move the work then something is WRONG. Either it is the setup, the technique, or the saw itself such as a dirty or rusted table or an alignment problem.
If the following question ((I WONDER IF I CAN DO THIS SAFELY?) ever comes into your mind while using a table saw you CAN NOT do it safely. Get some help or some advice and rethink the setup.
The best safety tool there is when using any power tool is the one between your ears.
Bill V
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

New blades are always your friend. I never sharpen a blade since new ones are so cheap. I can buy new 10" carbide blades on sale at Menards for $3-8 per blade. I use and toss them regularly. I've had wonderful luck with the cheap Skilsaw and Tool Shop brands from Menards when I buy the 40 tooth blades.
Also, last winter I picked up an 80 tooth 10" carbide blade that performed like crap right from the start. I don't remember the brand on that one, but it went to the trash really fast.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Gary:

Many 80T blades have very slight or even negative hook angles for cutting melamine, laminates, and plywood. I have Freud's LU79R HATB blade and it cuts plywood without the slightest tear out, even in today's plywood with very thin veeners.

This blade however would be most unsatisfactory for general purpose cuts in solid woods.
fiatben
Platinum Member

Your experience?

Post by fiatben »

Well, without a Menards in the area, I'm left at the mercy of the other big box stores and HF.

Anyone got any comments about the Irwin blades that are on sale right now at Lowe's for $6.65 each?
IRWIN 10" 40-Tooth Circular Saw Blade, Item #175238, Model #: 14070SM
IRWIN 10" 24-Tooth Circular Saw Blade, Item #244147, Model #:14233LWC

Thanks
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

To me there's a reason they're $6.65 each. They MIGHT be okay to use and then throw em away.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
garys
Platinum Member

Post by garys »

I would definitely try the Irwin 40T blade. If it doesn't work well for you, you can always toss it in the trash and be out very little cash. If you buy a high priced blade and don't like it, you get to hang it on the wall and look at it for the next 40 years and wish you still had the money it cost instead.
trainguytom
Gold Member

Post by trainguytom »

I've bought, rebuilt & sold a lot of Shopsmiths & almost every one came with one or more blades. From my experience, Shopsmith blades have always been high quality. I've had many sharpened (around here, about $8-12 for non-carbide...by the way, lots of guys think standard steel blades are somehow not as good as carbide tipped. As long as you don't cut nails, etc, regular blades stay sharp a long time) and they cut beautifully. I find that they work better than the cheapies. I wouldn't hesitate to sharpen one of them as long as they're not rusted.
I've gotten a couple of Freud carbide tipped blades with machines & am a believer that better blades work better. There's a difference in carbide compounds. Some chip easier than others.There's a difference in quality control when they apply the carbide tips to the blade and balance the blade.
I like good results. Not saying cheap blades don't work, just saying that you get what you pay for. Buy good ones or re-sharpen old good ones. Just my opinion, free & worth every penny.
fiatben
Platinum Member

On Sale

Post by fiatben »

beeg wrote:To me there's a reason they're $6.65 each. They MIGHT be okay to use and then throw em away.
Apparently these are normally about $25 but on sale right now. Don't know if that means they're getting rid of them or Irwin's trying to build a following for them, or what. Was just wondering if anyone had tried one.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I have purchased a few Irwin products on super sales. Although for many folks they may be great my experience with those sale items has been rather limited and disappointing. On the other hand I have purchased a few great Irwin products at regular prices. The only blades that I have terrific luck with are the high end Shopsmith blades. Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.