Ignorant Newbie needs help

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mathman
Silver Member

Ignorant Newbie needs help

Post by mathman »

I looked at the serial number page on the Shopsmith website, but am still too stupid to figure out what year my Mark V was made in. It was given to me today without any owners manual, and I'm not even sure which one to order. The Model # is 500009-B, and the serial number is 031990. Is that a date coded number as in March 1990? Or is it a number from an earlier year? Anybody that can help me would be sure appreciated.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mathman wrote:I looked at the serial number page on the Shopsmith website, but am still too stupid to figure out what year my Mark V was made in. It was given to me today without any owners manual, and I'm not even sure which one to order. The Model # is 500009-B, and the serial number is 031990. Is that a date coded number as in March 1990? Or is it a number from an earlier year? Anybody that can help me would be sure appreciated.
I believe it is a Mark V 500 and yes that is a date code. A pix would help.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

If ya post a pic, include the on/off switch.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

beeg wrote:If ya post a pic, include the on/off switch.
It will be a 'B' headstock!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Here is the chart. If it is a date code, it would be translated as March 19 1990. The Model # does not register with me but that is not unusual. I am no expert - just an owner. It was given to you huh. Pretty good deal. Your machine is newer than mine and came free.

What came with it?

Pictures would be nice.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mathman
Silver Member

Post by mathman »

Thanks guys. Only free thing my brother-in-law ever gave me. Of course he never used it, so he's no help. Here are some pics.
[ATTACH]14898[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14901[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14902[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]14903[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Mark V 1.jpg
Mark V 1.jpg (21.42 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
Mark V 2.jpg
Mark V 2.jpg (21.68 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
Mark V 3.jpg
Mark V 3.jpg (7.59 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Mark V 4.jpg
Mark V 4.jpg (18.14 KiB) Viewed 3146 times
mathman
Silver Member

Post by mathman »

I emailed Shopsmith with this question regarding the age of my machine (and which manual to buy), and never got an answer. Is this the usual for them, or was I just unlucky?
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

mathman wrote:I emailed Shopsmith with this question regarding the age of my machine (and which manual to buy), and never got an answer. Is this the usual for them, or was I just unlucky?
Welcome aboard, that Brother in law is a keeper. May I suggest calling the toll free number. Jan and Linda are super and know more about Shopsmith questions than all of us combined. Sorry "Experts," Still that is a truth that cannot be ignored. Fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

fjimp wrote:Jan and Linda are super and know more about Shopsmith questions than all of us combined. Sorry "Experts," Still that is a truth that cannot be ignored. Fjimp

And WHO do ya think we call to find out something or confirm it.:D

Mathman I put the date at March 79. As fjimp said call, they don't have time for emails.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
mathman
Silver Member

Post by mathman »

Thanks guys, I'll call tomorrow if the job allows.