Shopsmith Bandsaw

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mathman
Silver Member

Shopsmith Bandsaw

Post by mathman »

I'm thinking of getting a bandsaw, and I have a few questions. First should I get one for my Shopsmith 500? Or, should I buy a stand-alone from another company? Also, if I buy a Shopsmith, are used ones a dangerous buy, or are repairs fairly inexpensive? Any advice?
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

I've had my bandsaw for my Shopsmith for 20 years or so and it is as good as, or better than any stand alone unit I've used. From an economic view point, purchasing a used addition to your Shopsmith is the best bet. But you can purchase a new one directly from Shopsmith.

Parts are relatively available direct from Shopsmith so if you can do it yourself, repairs are easy and inexpensive. The only question is how good is the used unit you may find (on Craigslist or Ebay or ?).

If you wish more information on the bandsaw attachment, here are a few links you may find useful:

http://www.shopsmith.com/academy/bandsaw/index.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/partscat/bandsawexpview1.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/productindex.htm#bandsaw
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
bob84
Gold Member

Shopsmith Band Saw review

Post by bob84 »

I like this review as it presents some details we might take for granted concerning the SS bandsaw capabilities.

http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ssbandsawreview.htm :)
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

mathman wrote:I'm thinking of getting a bandsaw, and I have a few questions. First should I get one for my Shopsmith 500? Or, should I buy a stand-alone from another company? Also, if I buy a Shopsmith, are used ones a dangerous buy, or are repairs fairly inexpensive? Any advice?
If you could add your location to your profile information or note it here, there may be a Shopsmith owner nearby you can visit and get demos and questions answered quickly. Please check your PMs.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
mathman
Silver Member

Shopsmith bandsaw

Post by mathman »

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll start looking for a Shopsmith. Are the old ones good? Is the aluminum table much larger/better than the old cast iron?
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Just a few random thoughts.

One thing you need to know before deciding on a bandsaw is what you are expecting to do with it. By knowing that you can then decide what specifications to look for and which models meet them.

Are you going to do resawing? If so how tall of board would you like to do, maximum height wise? Bandsaws like the shopsmith give you about 6", some saws have extenders which can be added at a later time the will boost that to say 12" or 14". You can get saws with 18" or so but they will cost you, and then there are saws that are designed for just resawing....

The distance between the blade and the upright determines how much flexibility you have when doing curves and complex cutting. This is also how most bandsaws are measured. The greater the distance the more the flexibility. A 10" bandsaw is quite limited, 12" is better, 14 is a lot better.

Things like table size are also worth noting but the above two are what really count at least as far as I'm concerned.

I have a 12" bandsaw I have had since the early 1970's and a shopsmith one which I got used during this past year. I really wanted a larger rather then smaller bandsaw but when I was setting up a secondary shop 400 miles from home I found I really really missed having a bandsaw. Since I had a shopsmith in that shop it seemed to make since to add a shopsmith bandsaw. I was able to get a used one for under $100 then did a number of upgrades and have it to the point it is working better then I expected. It still has the cast iron top and I don't think I personally would do that upgrade but all of us see/use things differently.

reference: http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=8361

My preference would be to have a 14" saw with resaw capacity of 12", I would expect to pay under $1000 but not by much to get a new one which is what I would buy rather then a used one in this case. Likely hood of that happening maybe 2% due to funds and shop space, but I like to dream.

One more thought, buy the bandsaw is only part of the cost. Remember me saying I paid $100 for it, well I'd have to guess I have put more then $100 into it for the repairs and upgrades. Then there are the blades, I have one "cheap" blade at about $12 then a woodslicer for about $37 and two timber wolf blades $42 or another $91. Slippery slope this woodworking.

Ed
bhurley
Gold Member

Post by bhurley »

I've sold lots of used Shopsmith Bandsaws. Everyone has been pleased. I'll send you a PM to give a few more details.
Chin Up!

Got most all of them
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

mathman wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'll start looking for a Shopsmith. Are the old ones good? Is the aluminum table much larger/better than the old cast iron?
I love my '07 aluminum-table SS unit. But, to be honest, I rebuilt a 1980 SS unit for my brother-in-law with a cast-iron table, and I thought it had an advantage on vibration-damping. By the way, his unit was a basket-case that I bought and purchased a Shopsmith overhaul-kit for. That major kit included 2 new wheels to cover the rubber-tires and bearings all in one swoop. Most units would not need quite that much overhaul.
Chris
Gampa
Gold Member

Post by Gampa »

A few years ago I a bought a used unit on eBay. It was an older unit with the cast iron table. I wanted to bring it up to current standards and got the aluminum table, new tires, and cool blocks along with the circle cutter. While doing the upgrade was fun, in the end I spent almost as much as a new one cost. Bottom line if you can find a good one that has already been upgraded at a good cost go for it. If not buy new.
Enjoy a little sawdust therapy

Walt
520, Joiner, band saw, Planer, Dust Collector, 6: Belt Sander, OPR, Scroll Saw
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

I don't think there are any pat answers to your questions, just experiences, observations and personal preferences.

On stand alone or accessory mount with the band saw, I already had a Shopsmith, so accessory mount was what I wanted. If I didn't have a shopsmith, and didn't want one, then I'd think stand alone would be the only real option.

I have both the aluminum table and iron table saws. Both are fine. I like the groves in the aluminum table, it helps me set the fence. Aluminum is appreciably lighter, which if you go carrying your bandsaw around frequently, is nice.

Used is fine, mine was used when I got it, and is more used now. I would have no fear of a used bandsaw in good condition. You can judge one yourself pretty easily. Open the cover and rotate the big wheels the blade rides on. Do they roll smoothly, does the blade stay on. That's the biggies.

Bandsaws are not exciting tools. They don't explode or do anything vicious, even when they break. It's one of the things I very much like about them and why I use it far more than the table saw.