Shopsmith Demo

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mountainbreeze
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Demo

Post by mountainbreeze »

I was out in the garage today puttering around when a neighbor stopped by to chat. He saw my Mark 5 and asked, "They don't demo those things any more do they? I told him that I wasn't aware of any demos that had taken place in this area (upstate South Carolina) for several years. After he left, I went out and got the mail and there was a postcard announcing a demo of the Mark 7 at our local Lowes next week! An odd coincidence for sure.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I received an email notice of a demo taking place at the Charlottesville Virginia Lowes. Which oddly enough is where I placed my first Shopsmith order. The part of this that brought a smile to my face being that I notified them of my address change to Colorado some 15 months ago.

I do hope they notify me when they have a demo in the Denver area:confused::D Fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
nutball
Gold Member

Post by nutball »

I just went to a demo north of Charlotte, NC on Tuesday (at Lowe's). The demonstrator was Dave Folkerth, Bob Folkerth's brother. He said his next stop was Charleston, SC.

He said the main reason for the demo was actually to introduce their new abrasives to Lowe's, but they figured they'd also demo the Mark 7. If they can keep up the interest level, he said SS hopes to be doing many more demos in the future. We'll see. With the economy still stuck in reverse, it's gonna be tough.

I did my part -took the plunge to upgrade to the Power Pro. :)
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

nutball wrote:
I did my part -took the plunge to upgrade to the Power Pro. :)

You will be very happy, I love mine.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

The closest Lowes is 3 hours from me but it woud be worth a motorcycle ride over the mountains to see them demo the Power Pro.
Obviously the demo was successful, you made the upgrade!:)
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

They will be here next week. I will have to go and see the Power Pro and get my free gift.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I rather enjoyed the Demo in Aurora Colorado this morning. It was especially interesting that half of the participants in the first demo this AM were current owners. I got a kick out of the presenter noting as I approached that I had to be a current owner. He wasn't prepared to hear I have two 520's and that one is already the power Pro. There was another Power Pro owner there as well. I really like the Mark 7 double lift feature. In fact I placed this mornings first order which included the double lift. Incidentally the demo presenter was the first person to explain the reduced need for alignment adjustments with the new lift and bolt arrangement for securing. All in all I was thrilled to invest and hour on a beautiful Thursday morning. Oh yes I also purchased all grits and a nifty looking sanding block from the selection of abrasives from Shopsmith which Lowes are stocking. Given how much I like the belt sander belts I know the sanding experience will be improved greatly. I look forward to hearing comments from others. The presenter was a bit surprised when I suggested to other owners they should partake in our discussion forum. He did second my thought. Fjimp
F. Jim Parks

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

fjimp wrote:... Given how much I like the belt sander belts I know the sanding experience will be improved greatly. I look forward to hearing comments from others. The presenter was a bit surprised when I suggested to other owners they should partake in our discussion forum. He did second my thought. Fjimp

Yes!!!! I love my green sanding belts. --wouldn't want to be without them. During the last sanding sale, I stocked up on both Strip Sander and Belt Sander belts.

Nifty that you suggested the other owners should partake in our forum.

nutball: I am sure you will quickly fall in love with your PowerPro! Best wishes!!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fjimp wrote: . . . Incidentally the demo presenter was the first person to explain the reduced need for alignment adjustments with the new lift and bolt arrangement for securing. . . .
Please elaborate/elucidate!:cool::)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

JPG40504 wrote:Please elaborate/elucidate!:cool::)
Two big words at one time can confuse a simple minded sort like myself:confused:
When the presenter demo's the double lift he asked those of us with Mark V's if we have ever had issues with alignment. Several heads shook (no I couldn't hear loose brain matter). He then illustrated that the new hinge arrangement on the MARK 7 is a bolt that locks securely in place (turn a knob to loosen and re tighten. He then illustrated no side to side motion is allowed. Now I know I lack the expertise of many of you yet when I moved cross country I had fits with alignment on both machines. Once I discovered I could adjust tension on the lift/lock lever the issues largely disappeared. Last week after sawing a lot of maple I needed to work on alignment again yet wasn't quite satisfyed. Today I adjusted that lever again and find all is well. I cannot wait for the new system. Fjimp
F. Jim Parks