Woodworking in America. GREAT TIME

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

beeg wrote:Sounds like a GREAT SHOW. Thank You for the report. We only get that OTHER show here and I'll ONLY go if I can get in FREE. Isn't this the one 8Iowa and son go to
The whole family is here. I haven't spent much time in the vendor hall, I plan to remedy this tomorrow. A great time.
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

Kinda disappointed Shopsmith was not at the show since it was in their back yard.
Hand-tool woodworking is big at this show. I think the Shopsmith is a great complement to hand-tool woodworkers. Gives you power when you need it in a small space without investing in large equipment.
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

cincinnati wrote:Stihl (The chainsaw people) were at the show. Anyone know that Stihl makes two models of a wet/dry vac? I was surprised at how quiet they were.

http://www.stihlusa.com/vacuums/se122.html

Yeah but do you have to pull a starter rope to use them? :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:Does it get cold there?:rolleyes:
colder

I'm next door in Central Indiana and really only maybe 40 miles or so farther north. Here in a cold winter temps of -20 or a bit colder are not at all daily but not uncommon either.
We have had Christmas days of -20 and a couple at +70. :rolleyes:
I believe our "official" average January day time temp is +36 degrees F but it can vary in a silly wild pattern on a whim. :)
In the summer we often run about +90 to +95 for maybe 20 or 30 days.
We do tend to have horrible summer humuggity and so dry in winter that a tight summer woodworking joint gets a loose as a goose and can almost flap.
Have I enticed you to move yet? :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

cincinnati wrote:Kinda disappointed Shopsmith was not at the show since it was in their back yard.
Hand-tool woodworking is big at this show. I think the Shopsmith is a great complement to hand-tool woodworkers. Gives you power when you need it in a small space without investing in large equipment.

I agree about the compliment to hand tools. The SS is also a jiggers dream. Especially if you have several of them, all manner of set-ups are possible limited only by your imagination.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:colder

I'm next door in Central Indiana and really only maybe 40 miles or so farther north. Here in a cold winter temps of -20 or a bit colder are not at all daily but not uncommon either.
We have had Christmas days of -20 and a couple at +70. :rolleyes:
I believe our "official" average January day time temp is +36 degrees F but it can vary in a silly wild pattern on a whim. :)
In the summer we often run about +90 to +95 for maybe 20 or 30 days.
We do tend to have horrible summer humuggity and so dry in winter that a tight summer woodworking joint gets a loose as a goose and can almost flap.
Have I enticed you to move yet? :D

Truth of the matter, we are giving some serious thought to selling the property and moving back to North Dakota. Not my idea but I have been promised a shop. Selling the house and property would be the issue.

If we did that it would be spring and summer there, fall and winter here. A shop here would then be a problem that would need solving (before a move).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:Truth of the matter, we are giving some serious thought to selling the property and moving back to North Dakota. Not my idea but I have been promised a shop. Selling the hose and property would be the issue.

If we did that it would be spring and summer there, fall and winter here. A shop here would then be a problem.

Ah ha... A shop in an older travel trailer... :D
Maybe a "toy hauler" with a small shop in the back?

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:Ah ha... A shop in an older travel trailer... :D
Maybe a "toy hauler" with a small shop in the back?

I don't know what the solution would be but I do know that I am not changing residence to any location that does not offer adequate shop space. What would be adequate can not be stated here, at this time. It all depends on conditions that are now hypothetical.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

dusty wrote:I don't know what the solution would be but I do know that I am not changing residence to any location that does not offer adequate shop space. What would be adequate can not be stated here, at this time. It all depends on conditions that are now hypothetical.
Here you go.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/t ... 41370.html
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Boy did you ever hit on a solution. That would work. I would have to rearrange some to fit the Shopsmith equipment but it would work.

Do you think this truck would be adequate?

[ATTACH]14427[/ATTACH]

Yeah, no doubt it would work. I am just showing off. Unfortunately, I don't have that rig anymore. When I went onto fixed income, I could no longer afford such extravagance. Actually, I never could. We bought that and a fifth wheel so that I could follow a consulting job I had after I first retired. Lived on the road for several years - Cedar Rapids, Ia, Corpus Cristi, Tx, Dallas, Tx, and El Paso, Tx. Then my knees got the best of me. Now I would have trouble just getting up into that rig.
Attachments
Desktop 123 (Custom).jpg
Desktop 123 (Custom).jpg (74.54 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty