speed reducer

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:The next SPT I want to buy is a speed reducer. Just missed the sale they had last year and have been waiting for another. Think they are priced a bit high, but willing to go that route if in sale.

I want to use it with my PowerPro for bandsawing and maybe to turn large items.

Think the speed reducer will put an end to the bucking/slamming that the PowerPro does with the bandsaw?????
Might make it 'worse'!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

sunset22 wrote:I just picked up a used one from a guy that his dad bought. The mounting bracket was still stapled and in the bag. The belts don't show any sign of wear. I don't think the dad ever used it. I set it up according to the manuel, but there is a 1/64 in of wobble in it. Maybe that is normal. I have noticed that one belt does feel a little tight. I am going to check the numbers. make sure they are the right ones.

Thanks for the information

Sunset22

This may be a rumor so don't take it as gospal but I think some Speed Reducers were manufactured incorrectly causing excess vibration and wear on one of the belts. I did not notice it when I used it but when I sold it the person who purchased it complained. If I remember correctly they were able to fix the problem possible with help from Shopsmith customer support.

I did not see any use for it after I upgraded to the PowerPro.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

charlese wrote:The next SPT I want to buy is a speed reducer. Just missed the sale they had last year and have been waiting for another. Think they are priced a bit high, but willing to go that route if in sale.

I want to use it with my PowerPro for bandsawing and maybe to turn large items.

Think the speed reducer will put an end to the bucking/slamming that the PowerPro does with the bandsaw?????
I have wondered the same ;) . I think we have at least one member who has both accessories; he did some weedwhacker string-winding with his PP and the Speed Reducer.
Chris
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

paulmcohen wrote:This may be a rumor so don't take it as gospal but I think some Speed Reducers were manufactured incorrectly causing excess vibration and wear on one of the belts. I did not notice it when I used it but when I sold it the person who purchased it complained. If I remember correctly they were able to fix the problem possible with help from Shopsmith customer support.

I did not see any use for it after I upgraded to the PowerPro.

Is there a history of failures like this? If not, a single failure does not indicate a manufacturing error of but possibly ONE speed reducer - yours. I would be more inclined to suspect user error of some sort given this sample set of one.

Did you give Shopsmith an opportunity to address this? If not.....well, enough said.

What is in a speed reducer? Is it just a sheave?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
sunset22
Gold Member

Post by sunset22 »

I have taken mine apart and inspected it more closly. The output shaft is bent. It did not look used at all. I think SS sent out a bad unit to the guy I bought it from. It just didn't get returned, but it is not SS problem any more. I do like how slowly it turns. The replacement part is 88.00 plus shipping. So right now I am not sure what I am going to do with it.

Sunset22
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

sunset22 wrote:I have taken mine apart and inspected it more closly. The output shaft is bent. It did not look used at all. I think SS sent out a bad unit to the guy I bought it from. It just didn't get returned, but it is not SS problem any more. I do like how slowly it turns. The replacement part is 88.00 plus shipping. So right now I am not sure what I am going to do with it.

Sunset22
Check with bill mayo. He may have a part OR he may be able to straighten the shaft. I know that he straightens the cutter head shaft on jointers.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
sunset22
Gold Member

Post by sunset22 »

Thanks for the info.

Is Bill Mayo on ebay?
I was thinking of trying a local machine shop. It is not that complicated of a piece.

Sunset
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

sunset22 wrote:Thanks for the info.

Is Bill Mayo on ebay?
I was thinking of trying a local machine shop. It is not that complicated of a piece.

Sunset
You can contact bill mayo by using a Private Message right here on the forum or
email him at annbill.mayo@comcast.net
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
sunset22
Gold Member

Post by sunset22 »

Thanks

I will

Sunset
billmayo
Platinum Member

Bent Shaft

Post by billmayo »

Years ago, I built a jig of V vices with a dial indicator to fit on my hydraulic press to straighten shafts. However, I have not been able to straighten any Shopsmith quill shafts to get them to less than .002" runout. Also, I have unable to find anyone with a jig or setup that can straighten a smaller shaft that would be cheaper than the replacement part. I have gotten lucky straightening a few other kinds of shafts but most often was not successful.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)