Shopsmith DEMO

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bigeddy
Gold Member

Shopsmith DEMO

Post by bigeddy »

I have waited with baited breath to see the new mark7 and today was my day. I left with mixed feelings. The machine looks fine and does somethings that my greenie won't , I can't tell you how disappointed I was. I know the guy needs to make money and he does that buy selling equipment, I won't listen to someone who constantly downgrades older equipment or another brand. I really felt bad for Shopsmith by the time I left the demo. The guy made it sound like Shopsmith is going down the tubes unless we upgrade our equipment one way or another. I'm sorry if he feels the need to do that in order to get sales but he definately sold me on the idea of not buying an upgrade. Let me leave in saying that Shopsmith has done a wonderful job with their new machine and I would recommend the product but not because of a Salesman like the one I met. I get alot of answers here because of the people that use the Mark V in the real world. I'm not sure the Salesman does anything but DEMO the equipment. I would like to hang around someone in my area that has a working knowledge of the MARK V and spend a day going over some questions. It's easier for me to ask questions in the flesh rather than one a forum. Don't get me wrong I love these forums. Thank you guys for the support you have given me. I spend many hours of enjoyment here. The salesman had a nice color catalog and said the only catalog I could get was a pdf online. Fine. I would be willing to pay for a catalog like he had. Also the shopnotes and other magazines I would be willing to pay for. I search for everything I can for Shopsmith Videos to see how the machine works but theres nothing like hands on. JMHO.. thanks folks
2 Greenies 1st one 282274 10/54 , 2nd one 293858 3/55 :D
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Tis a shame. I remember the many SS demos I watched at Fair until my wife finally said, you really want it, get it. Never once did the sales person speak poorly of products on the market, rather the SS was sold based on it's quality, flexibility, and small footprint in the shop. I too would be turned off by a sales pitch that suggested a product I currently use is inferior, rather show me how the new product is a huge improvement.
Guess this will be a problem for SS as they contract out a sales force, if that is what they are doing. Lets hope someone with authority reviews your post and makes appropriate adjustments.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bigeddy wrote:I have waited with baited breath to see the new mark7 and today was my day. I left with mixed feelings. The machine looks fine and does somethings that my greenie won't , I can't tell you how disappointed I was. I know the guy needs to make money and he does that buy selling equipment, I won't listen to someone who constantly downgrades older equipment or another brand. I really felt bad for Shopsmith by the time I left the demo. The guy made it sound like Shopsmith is going down the tubes unless we upgrade our equipment one way or another. I'm sorry if he feels the need to do that in order to get sales but he definately sold me on the idea of not buying an upgrade. Let me leave in saying that Shopsmith has done a wonderful job with their new machine and I would recommend the product but not because of a Salesman like the one I met. I get alot of answers here because of the people that use the Mark V in the real world. I'm not sure the Salesman does anything but DEMO the equipment. I would like to hang around someone in my area that has a working knowledge of the MARK V and spend a day going over some questions. It's easier for me to ask questions in the flesh rather than one a forum. Don't get me wrong I love these forums. Thank you guys for the support you have given me. I spend many hours of enjoyment here. The salesman had a nice color catalog and said the only catalog I could get was a pdf online. Fine. I would be willing to pay for a catalog like he had. Also the shopnotes and other magazines I would be willing to pay for. I search for everything I can for Shopsmith Videos to see how the machine works but theres nothing like hands on. JMHO.. thanks folks

THAT is supposed to instill confidence in the manufacturer and entice one to purchase????

FWIW tis a fine line between touting a new versions improvements with out 'putting' down that which is being 'improved'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

Shopsmith still gives demos? They stopped coming to my neck of the woods years ago.
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith DEMO

Post by dusty »

tomsalwasser wrote:Shopsmith still gives demos? They stopped coming to my neck of the woods years ago.

BigEddy lives in the great Northwest part of our country and in that area there is an operation that just recently started up that does Shopsmith demos. I believe that the operation is being run by an individual who was a member of the Shopsmith staff (back in the good ole days). I think he was one of those salesmen who traveled the country for Shopsmith.

This thread might be of interest to you.

More about the operation here.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Its too bad you had a poor experience bigeddy. I am fairly sure that the guy who did the demo was Mike. From my perspective I thought he did a good job with the demo, but I can definitely see how you could have come away with the impression that you did. There is a fine line between differentiating and motivating people to upgrade vs. making them feel bad about whatever unit they snagged as a deal or whatnot. Thats not to say that the greenie is useless...but lets face it, he is there to help shopsmith move product. I happened to stop by when he didn't have anyone else there and was lucky enough to pick his brain a bit. When he had other people come by, I backed off and waited to make sure he was able to do his pitch.

If you look at the greenie vs. a new unit, they have changed virtually everything except for the way tubes, legs, and casters. Backwards compatibility is a huge benefit, but it can also make it hard sometimes to realize how far the unit has come.

Motor: 3/4hp -> 1 1/8hp -> DVR
Carriage: 500 -> 505/510/520
Tables: 500 -> 505/510/520
Table Trunions: 500 -> 505/510/520 -> MK7
Fence: 500 -> 505/510 -> 520
Rails: 505/510 -> 520
Bench tubes: greenie -> the rest
End Castings: greenie -> mark V -> MK7
bigeddy wrote:The guy made it sound like Shopsmith is going down the tubes unless we upgrade our equipment one way or another.
On the one hand that doesn't really lend confidence to spending money on new technology (ie: making you feel like you would be left in a lurch without help to fix it if it were to break), it is to some degree true. Second hand sales don't keep shopsmith in business unless they eventually drive sales from them for SPTs, replacement parts, or upgrades...the money has to come from somewhere.

I actually think they would be well served in being more strategic about doing a buyback program to get some of the old machines off the market. Doing so would be a minimal investment on their part, but would reduce the inventory glut which is driving down prices. They are already doing it with the headstocks, they could do it with other parts.

Oh, and admittedly I was pretty frustrated because I contacted customer service the other day about the parts for a DIY MK7 upgrade and they just said no, not at this time. They have the parts and part numbers, and all I really want woudl be the end castings and table trunion. Its a strategic choice, but to have Mike on the front lines saying that this is one of the first times that he can go after existing owners rather than new buyers...yet to only give him the powerpro as the upgrade option...that kinda sucks. For anyone who has caught up to the latest and greatest, they are now in a position of only a partial upgrade.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

dusty wrote:BigEddy lives in the great Northwest part of our country and in that area there is an operation that just recently started up that does Shopsmith demos.
Thanks Dusty, that is interesting. I wish they would come to the Minnesota State Fair again this year to demo the Power Pro. Shopsmith demonstrated there for many years but no longer. Attendance last year was 1.7 million people over 10 days. Give me a $500 discount and free shipping I may even buy one on the spot!

Tom
Underdog
Gold Member

Post by Underdog »

bigeddy - Sorry I couldn't make it up there to see the demo. Would have been fun. Not sure if you ever make it down to Portland, but if you do you are always welcome to stop by and look over the shop.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

Underdog wrote:bigeddy - Sorry I couldn't make it up there to see the demo. Would have been fun. Not sure if you ever make it down to Portland, but if you do you are always welcome to stop by and look over the shop.
There is a demo in June down by you (in Tigard).

I might have to try and take you up on your offer next time I am down there :)
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

tomsalwasser wrote:Thanks Dusty, that is interesting. I wish they would come to the Minnesota State Fair again this year to demo the Power Pro. Shopsmith demonstrated there for many years but no longer. Attendance last year was 1.7 million people over 10 days. Give me a $500 discount and free shipping I may even buy one on the spot!

Tom
One interesting thing to note - you can buy the powerpro through Mike's website and save a little: http://www.myhomeworkshop.com/OrderPowerPro.html

Not sure if he was always planning on doing it, but I told him one reason I wouldn't buy on the spot was because the discount was counteracted by the sales tax that I would be subject to by buying at my local lowes. I mentioned that I would consider buying it when he was down at the oregon Lowes (Tigard for example) since there would be no sales tax.

(note: I am all for buying local, but when the item is going to ship from an out of state company anyway, its just an extra cost).

damagi AT gmail DOT com