Shopsmith DEMO

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

There is an old saying in the retail business that "Advertising does not yank, it pulls"... Over the years I ran a lot of ads for sales that I did not expect a big immediate return. In fact an ad often did not bring enough immediate business to even pay for itself. While the ad may have been about a specific product the real purpose of the ad was to sell the concept of the business in general and keep it in peoples minds. Ad people and retailers speak in terms of "impressions", not big quick returns.
The old SS demos were the same way. I must have watched 40 demos at various fairs and shows before I finally bought my first one new in 1988. I bought it from the Indy store but they did not "sell" it to me. The demos did. Not any particular demo, just the accumulative effect of all of them. When I walked in that store I already knew exactly I wanted. The store just took my order...
BTW, I think the real "most bang for the buck" is this forum.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

berry wrote:You don't know why SS can sell more units on the west coast than in the mid west? Population, the number of potential customers. California has more people that South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois COMBINED. LA has a larger population than 3 of those states. And if population isn't enough there the ever present issue of climate. It is ever so much easier to have a garage workshop when the temp is always above freezing and you car isn't covered with snow and ice each morning. And the right coast. Even with SS renowned small footprint I can't imagine having a hobby workshop in NYC or Boston in a 6th floor walk up. I'd take up knitting first.

All three of the classes I attended in Bloomington, MN were packed. Some guys had driven 200 miles to attend.

But you are right on the money about the classes. I spent money at all three I attended.
The salesman (Traveling Academy Instructor) just might have something to do with the level of sales. I have been to some of those side shows in the box stores where I would not buy anything and then there are those others.....

The one here was an instructor first and a salesman second. He did not push sales and I don't know what $$$ he sold (don't know how anyone does) but he was a fabulous trainer and a believer in the Shopsmith (though there were some items that he did not seem to believe in). He did not carry a large inventory of new items and many of the demo items that he did carry were "not for sale".
MarkFive510
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

When they were offered, I went to a traveling academy. I had reservations to a second one, but had to cancel last minute for medical reasons...shame, but all is ok now. Anyway, I spend over $1000 in upgrades at the first one, and was prepared to spend a bunch the second time.
I too think a motivated craftsman could do with with an academy based around the SS as a basic platform. It might even be augmented my introducing other tool.
Just an idea. After all, I just attended a 3 hours finishing program at the local Woodcraft. I learned a few new "tricks", re-enforced my basic knowledge, met a few fellow crafters, and spend a few hundred on things I "really needed."
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

I attend The Woodworking Shows http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com whenever they come to town. People are dragging cartloads of stuff back to their vehicles. There are seminars and demonstrations. I've never seen Shopsmith there, but some of the aftermarket fence people have had an SS set up with their product.
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

robinson46176 wrote:There is an old saying in the retail business that "Advertising does not yank, it pulls"... Over the years I ran a lot of ads for sales that I did not expect a big immediate return. In fact an ad often did not bring enough immediate business to even pay for itself. While the ad may have been about a specific product the real purpose of the ad was to sell the concept of the business in general and keep it in peoples minds. Ad people and retailers speak in terms of "impressions", not big quick returns.
The old SS demos were the same way. I must have watched 40 demos at various fairs and shows before I finally bought my first one new in 1988. I bought it from the Indy store but they did not "sell" it to me. The demos did. Not any particular demo, just the accumulative effect of all of them. When I walked in that store I already knew exactly I wanted. The store just took my order...
BTW, I think the real "most bang for the buck" is this forum.

Well put. I'm in total agreement. I purchased my SS at State Fair, but I was sold on it from many previous encounters.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
hcbph
Gold Member

SS Exposure

Post by hcbph »

Decided to add 2 cents here. If you think back, you used to see SS Demo's at fairs, occassionally at Malls and WW shows. You even saw Norm use one on early NYW mainly for Lathe work. I can even remember seeing some SS infomercial type programs many years ago.

Well I inherited my Dad's SS last year and signed up on the website for some info. So far I have not heard a peep from anyone or anything relating to SS other than via this forum. The only thing I've seen regarding SS is what I've searched out.

IMO devices that are multi-purpose are hobby or niche tools regardless of how good or bad they are(even the legendary Swiss Army Knife doesn't appeal to everyone). Biggest problem I see today is SS is not getting it name or tools out to it's potential market. I got into a discussion a few weeks ago with a coworker regarding woodworking, in the course of that discussion he knew of Delta, Powermatic, Grizzly and many other companies and some of the things they sold. When Shopsmith came up, his comment was basically "wasn't that company that used to make some kind of multi tool?". He didn't even know the company was still around. He's seen some for sale on CL but that's about the closest he's ever come to them.

Like anything else, SS will never appeal to everyone. They have a select niche that they can fill, whether it's limited space, etc. Problem is if that niche doesn't know of them, it's hard to gain them as customers. Add to that the fact that so many schools are eliminating things like ww classes/training from their curriculum and kids don't even know what wood is other than it's something that's burnt in a fireplace. Hard to sell to people something they don't even have the fainest idea what it is let alone how to use it.

I don't see selling only to current users maintaining or saving the company. Eventually many people will lose interest, die or something will come up to take their attention elsewhere. You need to 'at a minimum' maintain your base and hopefully expand it or it will wither. I don't have the silver bullet for how to fix it, but doing nothing won't fix it either.

My 2 cents.

Paul
SS Mark V, 10" cabinet saw, 10" RAS, 8" jointer, 16"x 60" lathe, DP, 12" & 18" BS, Molding machine, 2 planers, belt/disk sander, numerous others.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

My 2 cents on this subject is simply that Shopsmiths cost too much.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
azboxmaker
Bronze Member

SS Cost

Post by azboxmaker »

Yes SS are pricey,but if you think about what you are getting then the cost is lower. I wish SS would have a BIG American flag as their demo backdrop, that alone may help sales and they could have other woodworking tools set up Jet,dewalt, grizzly etc. with small little chinese flags stuck to them. You deceide which tool you would rather spend money.
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

When I was in my early teens I ordered info from Shopsmith. I looked at the brochure over and over again. Did not have two dimes to rub together but I would dream. Got out of school and a Shopsmith was the first thing I purchased after a car. I got it at a show demo but I knew I was going to buy one before I placed foot in the building.
Got a model 510 for $1,299. in 1989. Guess the Total Shop booth selling for $999 helped that deal out.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

azboxmaker wrote:Yes SS are pricey,but if you think about what you are getting then the cost is lower. I wish SS would have a BIG American flag as their demo backdrop, that alone may help sales and they could have other woodworking tools set up Jet,dewalt, grizzly etc. with small little chinese flags stuck to them. You deceide which tool you would rather spend money.

Not sure the up and coming generation(s) would understand that distinction.

Bottom line, $$$$$!

They also do not understand 'durability'.

1/2 century old???? That is an obsolete antique!!!:eek:

Quality is somewhat 'foreign' to 'them' also.:(
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange