DeWalt Radial Arm Saw

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Ed, WOW, I appreciate all the information.
You've really outdone yourself with all the details and it will probably take me a bit to apply them with the RAS.
Between you, Dick, and Chuck, I'll know who to ask questions as I get into the saw.:o

Regarding the safe use of the RAS, we were shown in shop class what they were capable of doing when a student wasn't careful and it pretty much whipped us into shape when we used it. I do remember some of my classmates were a bit too frightened to use the RAS after the kickback demo... yep, the instructor actually fired a chunk of wood out of the saw and it put a divit in the concrete wall. I always thought he could have just shown us the divit from the last demo and it would have served the purpose. Being a farm kid it didn't deter me and I've wanted one since.

My school semester starts on tuesday, so it might take me some time to get into the saw, I envision returning to this thread at times to ask rookie RAS restoration questions.

Thanks again, you guys are top drawer. (Good WW term, eh?)
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

John,

The RAS discussion brings back some interesting memories. My first power saw was a 1970 Craftsman RAS. For the first three years my favorite saw. I built some neat bookcases with it. Then we moved. Somehow it became mal adjusted. I tried repeatedly to get it balanced and finally traded it for a table saw. About five years ago I was enticed by a sears close out sale to get a new one with all the latest bells and whistles. I never once managed to get it balanced properly. It went out the door the weekend prior to my shiny new 520 being delivered. Oh how I love my 520. I wish you the best of luck with the RAS. I still have fond memories of my first one. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

fjimp wrote:John,

The RAS discussion brings back some interesting memories. My first power saw was a 1970 Craftsman RAS. For the first three years my favorite saw. I built some neat bookcases with it. Then we moved. Somehow it became mal adjusted. I tried repeatedly to get it balanced and finally traded it for a table saw. About five years ago I was enticed by a sears close out sale to get a new one with all the latest bells and whistles. I never once managed to get it balanced properly. It went out the door the weekend prior to my shiny new 520 being delivered. Oh how I love my 520. I wish you the best of luck with the RAS. I still have fond memories of my first one. fjimp

Balanced?????
Not sure what you mean by balancing your RAS. The alignment of a RAS is a process that must be done in order but is not complicated. Like a tablesaw you make yourself crazy trying to dail it into perfection but process is fairly easy.

Most people fear the RAS because the can see the blade, but for me I find it more comforting to know exactly where the blade is at and where my hands are in reference to that blade. On a table saw many times blade is not seen until it comes free of the wood and if your not careful and fully aware you can put you hand where they shouldn't be.

Also ripping on a radial arm can be interesting if you try to do it from the wrong direction in relation to the blade. But most if not all RAS now carry very visual and vivid warnings about feed direction.

The only other problem with a RAS is what I call having the blade climb atop the wood or become too aggressive. The blades I use on my RAS have a negative hook angle which means the teeth lean slightly back from perfect vertical. This blade almost refuses to climb or become too aggressive on the cut. If you have a to high a pitch with positive hook angle the blade will try to self feed or climb up top the wood and begin walking toward you. My RAS is designed that the operator's thumb is over the kill swithch and any time the RAS tries anything funny the thumb is jammed against the switch. Some of the newer machines have relocated that switch but they also have feed limiters on the carriage. However the real problem is incorrect hook angle blades not the RAS.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Thanks Ed, that gives me an idea. I should clean up my table insert, tape it off. Then red paint a 2 inch danger zone on it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jbooher
Gold Member

Post by jbooher »

For those of you that have a craftman radial saw there is a recall from Emmerson for there saws from 1958 to the 1990's. I have a 1979 RAS and sent my information on the recall. I received a new saw guard and table top. You can check it out at http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01031.html

James
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jbooher wrote:For those of you that have a craftman radial saw there is a recall from Emmerson for there saws from 1958 to the 1990's. I have a 1979 RAS and sent my information on the recall. I received a new saw guard and table top. You can check it out at http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01031.html

James
None available for my model RAS. Guess I will have to be responsible for my own actions/inactions for another 35+ years(bought in 1971).:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I suppose I used the wrong word in my feeble mind I viewed Balanced as similar to Aligned. Either way if not correct the tool is useless. I apologize for the confusion. fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
efmaron
Gold Member

Post by efmaron »

I do not have any more or less trouble setting up my RAS than I do with my SS or any other equipment in the shop.
Eric, Sebring Fl.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

My brother has one that was fine for a good long time then after a move something happened. It was always a bit of pain to set up but at least once you had it right it would be good for a long time. After the move it just went down hill, you could adjust it and before you finished the day it was messed up again. He still has it but it is a workbench/storage area. That maybe just as well since it is one the "recalled" one that you send in the arm and they send you the check....

When I worked as a carpenters helper we took a RAS to the job site. I forget the brand but it seemed to stand up to the riggers of that life. I remember them sticking me with fun jobs like ripping up a bunch of stock... I'd be head to toe sawdust... ah the good old days.

I guess if I had the space and could find the right one I'd buy it. They certainly do something very well and would be a good addition to a primarily shopsmith shop.

How many companies even offer these now a days? I'm guessing most companies dropped them???

Ed

fjimp wrote:John,

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Good question on who still builds them. I did see a Shopsmith RAS in the San Fran area Craigslist... I wish it were closer.

Delta has multiple RAS models, I think Craftsman has one model, The Original Saw has multiple models and bought DeWalt's old patents I believe.
Other than those I'm still learning about these saws and I'll be happy once the RAS function/looks are restored like my Mark V.

I've heard of another RAS company, Maggi? (sp) Ring any bells with anyone?

P.S. Ed, i bet you were as happy as a pig in mud when you were covered in the sawdust that RAS threw on you. ;)
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D