shopsmith mark VII

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

smithy2010 wrote:Have an opportunity to buy a Mark VII. Will the bandsaw work on the Mark V? Can I replace the base with Mark V legs and base?
Hi smithy2010,

You posted your question in post 10 of this thread. The answer is in post 7 of this thread. :)
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
randytucaz
Bronze Member

Post by randytucaz »

Where can I get the specs on the speed control for a MKII?
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

randytucaz wrote:Where can I get the specs on the speed control for a MKII?
The Mark II(2?) did not have a speed control. It used stepped pulleys similar to the model 10(IIRC).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

JPG40504 wrote:The Mark II(2?) did not have a speed control. It used stepped pulleys similar to the model 10(IIRC).
I have never seen one in the flesh, but I have seen pictures. If itdid not have a speed control, what was the crank on the headstock for?]Image
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

SDSSmith wrote:I have never seen one in the flesh, but I have seen pictures. If itdid not have a speed control, what was the crank on the headstock for?]Image

IIRC, belt tension lock/release.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I understand.....

Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

The speed specs. for the different pulley positions is on a sticker on the inside of the belt guard. These machines (sold by Monkey Wards) are light-weight and flimsy. I bought one and sold it 3 days later 'cause it was very cheaply made.
Mark
japronovost
Bronze Member

MARK VII In Mesa AZ

Post by japronovost »

Hello

I have a MARK VII that was my fathers in Mesa AZ, he has since passed away and I would like to pass this machine along to a loving home. I know nothing of the machine other than my father made some wonderful projects on it, the least of which is a three story doll house I still have in my home and 7 custom rocking horses.The machine is located in the Las Palmas Grand Active Resort Community in Mesa AZ. If anyone is interested please contact me at thunddn@yahoo.com. You would need to pick it up as delivery is not possible as I live in California. I am asking $200.00 for it. If you are in the Mesa or Pheonix area and interested please let me know. I have an offer on the house and would need to get the machine sold by July 13th 2010. This machine was purchaced sometime in the 1970's or late 1960,s. It has the base and can me rolled around. It needs some clean up as it has been stitting in a shed in the dust of Az for a few years now but it works. Hope to find a home for it very soon. I found this picture and this is the model I have. Jennifer
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Someone let us know how this turns out so we can see the machine so it doesn't go to waste. I love the MKVll I just picked up and looking for a lot of good time with it like the rest.
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
truxton
Gold Member

Shopsmith VII

Post by truxton »

I have owned a Shopsmith VII since 1979 and love it. I believe it was made in the early 1960's and was designed as an improved replacement for the V. The main power add on tools all fit. I have the band saw, scroll saw, belt sander and jointer, they all work on this machine. There are a few differences. The VII tilts both ways so you can have the head stock under the table for a shaper function with the reversable motor. There is also a built in dust collector located under the machine in a metal box. The head stock is moved by a crank rideing on a nylon gear, mine broke and I had it replaced with a steel one a friend machined for me. The electrical switch was replaced by the prior owner and has worked fine. So far no problem at all with the speed controller, but worst case I can by a MarkV head stock as I understand they fit the VII. Like all shopsmith machines it is built to last.