Shopsmiths 3" caster upgrade as it unfolds

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I did not use the shopsmith template. At least for my vintage hardware the template is not correct. I have no idea about newer hardware. AND I'm not talking of the height issue, this is a new one that I found just today.

First here is a shot of the casters on the shopsmith template, hole centered on template hole.

[ATTACH]17162[/ATTACH]

Now we go to the other end and it is quite easy to see the template and caster spacing do not agree.

[ATTACH]17163[/ATTACH]

Now I checked the legs to see how close that might be....

[ATTACH]17164[/ATTACH]

Old hardware vs new hardware or a shopsmith error????

Any way the old caster and old legs have the same spacing and that is what I used rather then the template information.

I have another issue with the length of the fasteners, May stop at the hardware store and see if I can find the right size or a better size, 1" just looks wrong but it will work.

So that is the rest of the story.

At least on one end of the machine.

[ATTACH]17165[/ATTACH]

Ed
Attachments
DSCF3198sc.jpg
DSCF3198sc.jpg (52.33 KiB) Viewed 13709 times
DSCF3199sc.jpg
DSCF3199sc.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 13681 times
DSCF3200sc.jpg
DSCF3200sc.jpg (53.9 KiB) Viewed 13685 times
DSCF3201sc.jpg
DSCF3201sc.jpg (103.61 KiB) Viewed 13689 times
eartigas
Gold Member

Question on Shopsmith on new casters

Post by eartigas »

I see in the photo that you have to clear a step and a gap to move the SS to the driveway. Can you do it with just the casters? or you hand lift it or use other method?

I have the regular casters and for me is a major challenge to get my SS to the driveway which I must as my garage is full.
Ed
Carmel, NY
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I got mine yesterday. They do turn very smoothly.

I hope to get them mounted soon but its heavy gardening time for me and it might be weeks before I can get to it. :(

Thanks to all who posted here. The first thing I'm going to do before the upgrade is review this thread.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

eartigas wrote:I see in the photo that you have to clear a step and a gap to move the SS to the driveway. Can you do it with just the casters? or you hand lift it or use other method?

I have the regular casters and for me is a major challenge to get my SS to the driveway which I must as my garage is full.

Hi,

Looks like you may have come into the thread part way through, no problem, just go back to the first post and you can see my ramp.

I don't know about your driveway but mine is not very smooth, I'm interested in seeing how the new casters help with that. Should be able to install the set on the other end today and find out.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Gee I see another one of my threads with three stars. I guess someone doesn't like me or what I'm posting or both????

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

I now have the caster upgrade on both ends of the machine. This time I did it from the outside of the leg. Alignment and lift all work well.

Rolling the shopsmith around on the smooth cement garage floor is easier but not so much better that I'd get excited about it. Outside on the driveway which is a very ruff roll I'd say it is somewhat easier but again not so excited about it at least at this point.

Given the vintage of my equipment the templates were less then wonderful. Had I followed them I would be very unhappy. I need the 1/2" clearance for the driveway, 1/4" will not work.

Moving the lever as I did is not a big deal but I could see that some people are not going to want to do so. Several other options exist but the instructions from shopsmith don't mention this as something that could happen.

At this point I'm more disappointed with the instructions then anything so this might be swing my rating but from 0 to 10 the best I can do is 5 and I could just as easy say 4.

I have three more machines that could get this upgrade, I'm not seeing this as an upgrade path for them.

I will not be recommending these to anyone.

Ed
dusty
Platinum Member

Shopsmith 3" Caster Upgrade

Post by dusty »

I don't really know why but I bit the bullet and ordered a set of the new casters. I checked order status today and they have been shipped.

Almost as much as I want new wheels, I want to get the pedals located so that both left and right side pedals are located on the infeed side of the machine. My pedals are on diagonally opposite legs.

After reading most of the threads on this subject, I made up my mind that I would redrill the rods so that I could relocate the pedals. GOOD NEWS today. I don't have to redrill. The rods are already drilled on both ends. I can't imagine how I failed to notice that for all these years.

I spoke with Customer Service yesterday to determine order status. Jan told me that all that was holding up the shipment was the new installation instructions. She did not know what the changes were but only that there were changes that had to be made before the order could be shipped.

I am as anxious to see what they have done as I am to have new wheels on my Mark V.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
2bits
Gold Member

Post by 2bits »

dusty wrote:I don't really know why but I bit the bullet and ordered a set of the new casters. I checked order status today and they have been shipped.

Almost as much as I want new wheels, I want to get the pedals located so that both left and right side pedals are located on the infeed side of the machine. My pedals are on diagonally opposite legs.

After reading most of the threads on this subject, I made up my mind that I would redrill the rods so that I could relocate the pedals. GOOD NEWS today. I don't have to redrill. The rods are already drilled on both ends. I can't imagine how I failed to notice that for all these years.

I spoke with Customer Service yesterday to determine order status. Jan told me that all that was holding up the shipment was the new installation instructions. She did not know what the changes were but only that there were changes that had to be made before the order could be shipped.

I am as anxious to see what they have done as I am to have new wheels on my Mark V.
Please share with us the "new and improved" installation instructions when you get a chance:) I have not installed the new casters on my 500 yet.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

2bits wrote:Please share with us the "new and improved" installation instructions when you get a chance:) I have not installed the new casters on my 500 yet.
I will do that. I expect to receive the wheels on Monday or Tuesday; however, I do not yet have a tracking number.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wonder why the instructions are being updated.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange