Shopsmiths 3" caster upgrade as it unfolds

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi Dusty,

Just thought you might want to know this.

I have 4 machines all made after 1972/3 that have the some issue with the location of the pedals. My reference machine, a 1976 that I purchased new I was able to trace the caster set purchase to 1979. So the design and pedal location are traceable to Shopsmith.

Reference attached

[ATTACH]17704[/ATTACH]

Ed

dusty wrote:I don't know if I agree or not. Who manufactured the caster sets that have the pedal located too close to the caster to facilitate the new caster.

If those caster sets were manufactured by Magna or Yuba does Shopsmith have any responsibility to keep documentation accurate?

I agree that it would be very accommodating if Shopsmith printed a notice about this in their paper work but can we fault them for not doing so?
Attachments
Scan20206.pdf
(415.67 KiB) Downloaded 1968 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The rod (503807) does not appear to depict the rods that are in my caster sets. Mine have two holes (each end) for a roll pin to secure the pedal.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Dusty you didn't happen to get a parts diagram like mine did you?

I was just thinking that shopsmith could offer a new "rod option kit" for older machines. You get the caster set and the rod, the rod drilled in the correct spot for mounting the casters. So maybe they have to up the cost another $10 but I'm sure some people would like that option.

Just another though.

Ed

dusty wrote:The rod (503807) does not appear to depict the rods that are in my caster sets. Mine have two holes (each end) for a roll pin to secure the pedal.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I do not have a drawing of my caster sets. I may have received them but I do not have them now. Sorry. Thank you for posting what you had.

When this whole issue first came up, I went looking for that documentation.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Woodcut
Bronze Member

Re: Shopsmiths 3" caster upgrade as it unfolds

Post by Woodcut »

When I installed the new 3" Caster wheels on my Mark V - 500 the foot lever now hits the flange on the new wheel. What is the best solution?
recurve1usa
Gold Member

Post by recurve1usa »

I have a 500 too. After the wheel upgrade the lift arms were hitting my flanges. They didn't hit by very much so I took off the new wheels and slid a large flat washer on each shaft. When I reinstalled them in their holes it gave enough clearance for me. It worked fine.
Good luck

Ps the flat washers were a little smaller diameter than the flanges on the new wheels.
number3456
Gold Member

Post by number3456 »

I had the same problem too with one of mine and used the flat washer solution. Gave it just enough clearance so it wouldn't hit. I would have drilled the holes about a 1/4 inch different if I had it to do over.
520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty", 500 converted to a dedicated drill press.
2 - bandsaws, jig saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

recurve1usa wrote:I have a 500 too. After the wheel upgrade the lift arms were hitting my flanges. They didn't hit by very much so I took off the new wheels and slid a large flat washer on each shaft. When I reinstalled them in their holes it gave enough clearance for me. It worked fine.
Good luck

Ps the flat washers were a little smaller diameter than the flanges on the new wheels.
Am I correct in assuming the 'lift arms' are the foot pedal? If so, do y'all have the older casters with the foot pedal located close to the end.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Woodcut
Bronze Member

Post by Woodcut »

Yes, I have the older caster assembly with the foot lever closer to the leg. That is why it is hitting the new 3" wheel Flange. I was thinking about trying to reset the lever in a few inches but not sure I will get it right. Looks like I would need to remove a roll-pin and re-drill another hold in the rod shaft. I just would not want to get it wrong. Maybe I will try the "washer" shim first. Any other suggestions are welcome.
I bought my SS new in 1979 (Mark V 500) Love it. Just got it returned from the factory where they did the full tune-up/refurbishing of the headstock.
recurve1usa
Gold Member

Post by recurve1usa »

My Shopsmith was bought in the 70's and the level adjusters are close to the outside edges. When I installed the new wheels the adjustment levers were hitting the flanges. All I did was to add some thick washers on the wheel shafts and put them back in. It worked fine and gave me just enough clearance so they wouldn't hit the flanges anymore.