Shopsmith Purchase Large Collection

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

paulsgreenbarn
Gold Member

Re: Shopsmith Purchase Large Collection

Post by paulsgreenbarn »

your location will come into play pertaining to price.I was able to find a 510 with bandsaw, jointer. belt sander,dust collector,scroll saw,speed reducer, and usual accs. for under $1500 here in WNY. No power stands but overall comparable setup.
*It's all about what it' worth to you.what we think doesn't matter much.They are good machines and if you want them grab them.
Last edited by paulsgreenbarn on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhelsinger
Gold Member

Post by nhelsinger »

Thank you Dennis, are there different pulleys that you need to buy for each power stand for the specific accessory you want? Or is each power stand come with all the options and you just need to put the correct configuration?

Also, what does SPT stand for?

JPG,

My mid 90s model is a 510. Can you give me an example of an item that will not work on it?

Thanks again guys for all the explanation, you are awesome!

We probably have 5-6 inches of snow in Columbus, OH and it is still coming down! It has been a great morning to mess around in the shop. Finished up an end grain cutting board for my Moms birthday! Hopefully I can figure out how to post a picture and show it off soon!

Nathan
nhelsinger
Gold Member

Post by nhelsinger »

paulsgreenbarn wrote:your location will come into play pertaining to price.I was able to find a 510 with bandsaw, jointer. belt sander,dust collector,scroll saw,speed reducer, and usual accs. for under $1500 here in WNY. No power stands but overall comparable setup.
*It's all about what it' worth to you.what we think doesn't matter much.They are good machines and if you want them grab them.

Wow! That sounds like you got a heck of a deal! Nothing feels as good as a good bargain!
paulsgreenbarn
Gold Member

Post by paulsgreenbarn »

nhelsinger wrote:
paulsgreenbarn wrote:your location will come into play pertaining to price.I was able to find a 510 with bandsaw, jointer. belt sander,dust collector,scroll saw,speed reducer, and usual accs. for under $1500 here in WNY. No power stands but overall comparable setup.

Wow! That sounds like you got a heck of a deal! Nothing feels as good as a good bargain!
Maybe. Some days it seems like I did.Other days i feel I may have paid too much.Either way,I use the heck out of it on a daily basis.considering how cold it's been in my shop this winter ,I can't complain.Once you adjust to the machine in how you plan and do jobs,it's a fine machine.
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

nhelsinger wrote:Thank you Dennis, are there different pulleys that you need to buy for each power stand for the specific accessory you want? Or is each power stand come with all the options and you just need to put the correct configuration?

Also, what does SPT stand for?

Nathan
SPT stands for Special Purpose Tool, which is Shopsmith-speak for an accessory tool that can mount to a Shopsmith and augment the 5 "standard" machine functions.

With each Power Stand, I believe that Shopsmith supplied only the hardware needed for one particular SPT. Here's a link to the Power Stand page, but it appears that they are not currently in production. http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... stands.htm

If you want to drive a different SPT, you can buy pulleys and belts that fit just fine at Ace hardware, Amazon, McMaster-Carr etc.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The 'incompatibilities' are centered around the tables and the rails etc. Most stuff will work on either, but some things are model specific. The most obvious is the rip fence. I mentioned this because the connector tubes will not allow mixing tables etc.. The rails are positioned differently. If your 'original' SS was a 500, there would be more incompatibilities.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG wrote:The 'incompatibilities' are centered around the tables and the rails etc. Most stuff will work on either, but some things are model specific. The most obvious is the rip fence. I mentioned this because the connector tubes will not allow mixing tables etc.. The rails are positioned differently. If your 'original' SS was a 500, there would be more incompatibilities.

I currently have 6 in the woodshop and 1 is a 10-ER and another is a Mark VII and one is a 510. The others are poly-vee Mark 5's. Not a huge amount of cross compatibility there. :) but they each can still be all 5 functions. About anything that goes on the arbor will cross and most SPT's except on the 10-ER. As far as tables and fences etc go. I wouldn't normally interchange them anyway since they are alignment items. When I restored a couple I painted them different colors and all the accessories to match so that I know which table, fence and tailstock is aligned for each machine. I do have extras and I might cross use them for some jobs but not where serious accuracy is involved. The 10-ER stuff, the Mark VII stuff and the 510 stuff is all easy to ID on sight and the rest by color.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Wise words from Farmer.

I have given up on trying to make every fence to align the same on every table. A problem only if one has multiple fences and tables. This is exclusively with '500' versions.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange