My ShopSmith ER10 Purchase - Restoration Project

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

horologist wrote:Mike,.....................

I think welding is going to be the repair of choice here. The JB Weld repair could be made to work but as Francis said it is easy to expect too much from the stuff. I don't think JB Weld would make for a good long term repair, especially if you plan to get a lot of use from the saw.

Troy

Interesting photo. Thanks.

I think you are right about the permanency of welding vs. J-B Weld BUT... I may try the J-B Weld method you suggested in post 17 anyway just to see. Nothing ventured, nothing learned. Plus, it's not like a failure will be a catastrophic one if it does fail. I always have my Greenie's jigsaw as a second should the ER10's fail.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

Mike,
It's up to you but I would encourage you to call a few of your local weld shops first. Likely it will be very inexpensive and if it doesn't work out you can always go with plan B. I'm afraid that once you do the JB Weld repair you won't be able to weld it and then options get pretty sparse.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

horologist wrote:Mike,
It's up to you but I would encourage you to call a few of your local weld shops first. Likely it will be very inexpensive and if it doesn't work out you can always go with plan B. I'm afraid that once you do the JB Weld repair you won't be able to weld it and then options get pretty sparse.

Troy

Troy,

The welding wouldn't cost me anything. A friend owns a machine shop with certified welders and we always help each other out. Plus, I can always buy a new base for the jigsaw if it gets hosed.

Don't think that I am not taking your advise because I respect your background and guideance. I just gotta know the limits of J-B Weld.:D :D
Mike
Sunny San Diego
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

Mike,
No problem, in my day job I am supposed to be pretty conservative about structural issues much to the annoyance of those who are more concerned about schedule. The JB Weld should work, especially if you are careful when you tighten the quill. I look forward to the pictures of the finished repair.
Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...