Non woodworking uses for a shopsmith

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Non woodworking uses for a shopsmith

Post by robinson46176 »

I thought it might be fun to start a thread of non woodworking uses for a Shopsmith. Or at least some kind of non standard jobs.
When I look at one of my Shopsmiths I don't see a woodworking tool, I just see a tool... The things that make it so versatile at woodworking can apply to a whole herd of other stuff. What is there is a powerful variable speed drive unit with multiple power points, especially the main arbor. I also see support devices like the table or lathe tool support. Versatility is the keystone of the Shopsmith.

I'll start it off with something very simple. I polished my shoes with my Shopsmith this afternoon.

I have adapters that allow me to use various attachments that I normally used in my shoe shop on speciality machines on my Shopsmith at home. I did it originally so I could carry extra work home from the shop to catch up in the evening. Now I just do a bit of stuff for myself.
These brushes attach to a custom adapter using the same size setscrew Allen wrench as the SS. I have two of these brushes (one black, one brown) and they are very high quality. In the shoe shop used heavy daily they last about 10 years. They are 8" brushes with about a 2 3/4" face. Last I looked they run about $75 each. I also have several other special adapters for various sanding and trimming operations.

Try that with your SawStop. :D

[img]
Shopsmith with shoebrush 2.jpg
Shopsmith with shoebrush 2.jpg (71.35 KiB) Viewed 18050 times
[/img]

Anybody else???
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Re: Non woodworking uses for a shopsmith

Post by wa2crk »

This may be the most expensive to rewind your string trimmer!!! :eek:
job at hand.jpg
job at hand.jpg (74.77 KiB) Viewed 18043 times
Bill V
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

Polishing of all sorts heads my list.
rjent
Platinum Member

Post by rjent »

I used the Mark 7 extensively, and it was invaluable, on the rebuild of the 10ER.
Dick
1965 Mark VII S/N 407684
1951 10 ER S/N ER 44570 -- Reborn 9/16/14
1950 10 ER S/N ER 33479 Reborn July 2016
1950 10 ER S/N ER 39671
1951 jigsaw X 2
1951 !0 ER #3 in rebuild
500, Jointer, Bsaw, Bsander, Planer
2014 Mark 7 W/Lift assist - 14 4" Jointer - DC3300
And a plethora of small stuff .....

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Benjamin Franklin
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

rjent wrote:I used the Mark 7 extensively, and it was invaluable, on the rebuild of the 10ER.
Ain't that a switch. :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
moggymatt
Platinum Member

Post by moggymatt »

I hope others add to this topic. You've piqued my interest!
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

I once made a bunch of sketches based on using my 510 as the weight stack on a shop made home gym. The concept used ceiling mounted pulleys attaching to the free end of the way tubes routed to various stations. The weight is easily adjusted by sliding the headstock one way or the other.
Does that qualify as a non-woodworking use?
I scrapped the idea and now I just get my workouts by using the drill press and the planer. :-)
snuffysmif
Bronze Member

Post by snuffysmif »

wa2crk wrote:This may be the most expensive to rewind your string trimmer!!! :eek:
job at hand.jpg
Bill V
Looks like this setup could be used to spool fishing line too. At least to remove the old line.
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

shipwright wrote: I scrapped the idea and now I just get my workouts by using the drill press and the planer. :-)
Not to mention the 2 1/2 min "warm up". ;)

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 9QHeZTpAJ0[/youtube]
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
STB
Gold Member

Post by STB »

This is my SS 520 in chain saw chain sharping mode.
IMG_0885 (1280x943).jpg
IMG_0885 (1280x943).jpg (897.25 KiB) Viewed 17890 times
Glenn
I create problem solving challenges and opportunities for design modification, not mistakes.

SS 520 born 04/16/03, Power Station mounted Band saw , Scroll saw, Jointer, Belt sander, Overarm router, dedicated Mark V drill press, SS Maxi-clamp system, Shopsmith woodworking bench